Friday, January 25, 2008

Butter Roasted Pecans

Hey Y'all. It's been a long time. I was in Chicago for the holidays and have been back in Milan for a while now with no impetus to write at all. I've got a lot of catching up to do. So how the hell are ya?

Back in Chicago I found a delicious new recipe from an unlikely source: my Dad. Since his retirement, he's made a few forays in to cooking with his #1 result being Cabbage Soup of the famed Cabbage Soup Diet. "Eeew!", you say? Well I have to tell you that this stuff isn't half bad and having eaten it for lunch pretty much every day over the whole vacation, I actually lost weight at Christmastime! Can you imagine?

Anyway another yummy treat my Dad makes is butter roasted pecans. They are simple and delicious. Here's the recipe:

1 pound of whole raw pecans
3 tablespoons of butter
salt to taste

Heat the oven to 265 degrees fahrenheit. Place the pecans in a single layer on a large cookie sheet. Allow to slowly roast to extreme crunchiness for 30 minutes. The relatively low temperature and long cooking time allow the nuts to get fully crunchy and evenly brown, not burny on the outside, chewy on the inside. Music to slow-roast pecans by: "Pressure Drop" performed by Joe Strummer and the Mescaleros. Why? It's just the song I've had going around in my head for the last couple days after having viewed the "Grosse Pointe Blank" episode of my own personal John Cusack film festival. Speaking of John Cusack, did you know that, aside from having probably the best musical taste in Hollywood, he has a few rather strong opinions about the war in Iraq? Have a look here. Back to pecans: during the last 10 minutes of slow cooking, place the butter in a large glass or metal mixing bowl and put in the oven to melt. Take out the nuts and the butter. Immediately pour the pecans into the butter and stir to coat everything. Keep stirring until all the butter has been absorbed. Sprinkle with salt and mix again. Taste and repeat until the nuts are salty enough.

14 Comments:

Blogger Proud Italian Cook said...

Hi Susan, Welcome back!! Did you stay warm while in Chicago? Did you ever make it over to Freddy's? Hope you had some good food while you were here!

1:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brava Susan
Paul

We picked up some Italian beef with gravy for my family while in Chicago. The smell permeated to the third floor and the lemmings came running. My sister and brother in law had not tried it even though living there for years. I am sure you can elevate it to a higher level still.

6:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll have to try this. Maybe your dad is on to something ;)

2:31 AM  
Blogger kimba said...

My former business partner used to make these and they are FABULOUS. It's going to rain here for the next 2 days, so I may have to bake some of these and read a good book while I eat them.

5:50 AM  
Blogger Susan in Italy said...

Hi Marie, How are you?! It's good to hear from you again. The next time I go back home I should look you up! I didn't get to Cicero at all much less the undiscovered (by me) food paradises therein.

Hiya Paulie, Italian Beef is great, isn't it? I almost feel sad for Fran and her bloke for having missed out all this time. Is Marilee having Italian Beef cravings these days?

Hi Maryann, The recipe is simple and really great, try it!

Hi Kimba, Sounds comfy to sit, read and munch on pecans.

3:58 PM  
Blogger J said...

Sounds YUMMY! And the perfect remedy to too much cabbage soup!

3:59 PM  
Blogger Beenzzz said...

This is making me salivate!

5:25 PM  
Blogger hellomelissa said...

i've been eating loads of nuts lately (i know, i know, you are what you eat) and this sounds like it would hit the spot right about now.

welcome baaaack!

5:34 PM  
Blogger Maddy said...

Welcome back! I was also in Chicago for the holidays- So cold, but nice to be home.

5:11 AM  
Blogger Susan in Italy said...

Hi J., Yeah, it's good to have something other than cabbage soup!

Hi Beenzzz, Hiya! thanks for stopping by.

Hi Melissa, It's great to hear from you!

Hi Maddy, Oh, are you from Chicago originally? What side are you from?

10:43 AM  
Blogger Chef JP said...

A nosh is a nosh and this is a great nosh-- loved the pecan recipe. Also, great job on the king kake deal (just got done celebrating Mardi Gras myself)

1:33 PM  
Anonymous Cabbage soup recipe said...

I actually think that this website for theCabbage Soup Diet has a better recipe for the Cabbage soup. Try it out. Great post by the way!

11:58 PM  
Anonymous Commercial Auto Insurance said...

I agree I tried that other website to the Cabbage Soup Diet and it was much better.

Thanks for the wonderful blog!

11:59 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Made these pecan yesterday for a superbowl party. Everyone loved them! I'm making more today for the family to enjoy. Thanks!

8:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats