Friday, February 03, 2006

The Julie/Julia Project

I’ve been reading a blog called the Julie/Julia Project which got the Julie part of the equasion a fat book deal and which started me on this trek you’re reading right here. Initially I started this blog out of a sense of injustice that somebody else came up with an unoriginal plan to do something I could have easily done myself. Julie set out to cook every recipe in Julia Child’s Mastering the Art of French Cooking in one year. I remember having read that Martha Stewart had done the same and I don’t think it would have been all that tough. So I felt robbed and not a little self-critical that someone had done it before me. Such a simple idea and I didn’t think of it. Of course I know that if Julie had never gotten famous, I wouldn’t be writing this at all. Anyway, all my resentment of Julie and her book deal has melted away after reading the first 2 months of her blog. She’s a brilliant writer. She writes about cooking and how she’s getting though it with her job and long commutes etc. and I can’t wait to see what happens next. She’s made Mastering The Art Of French Cooking into a page-turner. Somehow, she weaves her cooking descriptions with the pathos of her daily life. My hat is off to her.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you read the book? It's great! I'm reading it now. I'm glad you found her blog and linked to it. It would have taken me alot longer to find it if you hadn't.

9:19 AM  
Blogger Susan in Italy said...

Thanks Kristella for stopping by! I adore Julie Powell. Have you seen her new blog, "What Could Happen?" She doesn't write that much since she's now a famous writer and I suppose working on a lot of other stuff, but it's good.

9:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats