Thursday, February 16, 2006

Super Polo

I'm back on my foodie/anti foodie soapbox again. I've been thinking about Julie of the Julie/Julia project and this particular grocery store in Milan that I hate and I know she would too. A comfort for some Americans living in Milan is a market called Super Polo. It claims to carry "American products" but to me, this store is the worst of two worlds. The "American" products they sell include hot chocolate mix, brownie mix, pancake mix, blueberry muffin mix, and many other things that a lot of expats believe they can't get anywhere else. Problem with this is that you can make all of these things with ingredients easily bought anywhere in Milan, that is if you want to MAKE them. I'd have to argue that if you did make hot chocolate with cocoa powder and sugar rather than whatever's in that mix, you'd end up with a better cup of hot chocolate. Same goes with all the other mixes ESPECIALLY the blueberry muffin thing. But there are many Americans here who are spending 7 dollars a box on dessicated blueberries and miscellaneous powders, just adding water and eating their "American" experience. So the worst of two worlds? Bad 7-11 style pre-fab food at Whole Foods prices. The contempt I feel for the overprivilege of Whole Foods shoppers combines with the contempt/pity/bewilderment of people who are willing to spend crazy amounts of money on crap.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well I am in Milan and desperate to buy things for thanks giving and to be honest, seems marco polo might be a good place, although i have never been there!

6:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats