Sunday, March 26, 2006

30 Minute Bagna Cauda

Is My Blog Burning? has challenged the culinary blogosphere to produce a home-made dinner in 30 minutes or less. My first thought was Bagna Cauda with all raw vegetables. (A more time-consuming version would include boiled potatoes, cardoons, broccoli, artichokes, etc.) You slice the veggies into spears then you prepare the garlic, anchovy, olive oil sauce. Quick, delicious and really beautiful with all the contrasting colors of the veggies arrayed on a plate. This recipe serves 4.

Sauce:
8 whole, peeled cloves of garlic
1/3 cup whole milk
2 tbsp unsalted butter
6 anchovy fillets with 1 tsp of their oil
1 cup extra virgin olive oil

Vegetable suggestions:
2 raw carrots
2 ribs celery
1 large red bell pepper
1 raw fennel bulb
1 head of long, thin radicchio di Treviso

Cut all vegetables into long, thin spears. Place the garlic, anchovies, their oil and milk into a small food processor and reduce to a paste. Place this mixture into a small sauce pan along with the oil and cook stirring for about 15 minutes. The sauce will be a separated thing, with oil on top and garlic/anchovy sediment on the bottom. That's o.k. anybody who tells you they get an amalgamated mayonnaise-y consistency is a liar! Place in a fondue pot or flameproof pot held over a sterno flame and serve with the vegetables and lots of crusty bread to soak up any dripped sauce from the fondue pot to the plate.

Tagged with: +

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooooh...Bagna Cauda! I can just taste that garlicky goodness in my mouth, and being invited to join a bagna cauda gathering is always something I look forward to.

Susan, regarding your note on the opihi---I've decided to go ahead and make poke when I can find all of the ingredients that I need. The seaweed used is ogo and there is no lemon juice or any citric acid in these dishes. They're really, really raw!

6:44 PM  
Blogger Lotus Reads said...

I'm so glad I discovered your blog, Susan! I love the recipes - this one here has me drooling onto my keyboard. Sorry for the terrible image! :)

Will have to try it sometime.

11:23 PM  
Blogger Susan in Italy said...

Hi Rowena,
I'm waiting for the poke with Italian ingredients recipe! You can get some seaweed at New Continental Market , 22 viale Monza in Milan. Not sure if they carry ogo...

3:31 PM  
Blogger Susan in Italy said...

Hi Lotus,
Thank you so much! I wonder if in super-multicultural Canada you get Italian winter vegetables like cardoons and puntarelle. They're great in bagna cauda.

3:39 PM  
Blogger Lotus Reads said...

Hi, Susan

It's quite possible that these vegetables are available here. I will have to check in "Little Italy".

We were in Milano for four short days two years ago and I regret so much I didn't try the local food. We only ordered stuff we could pronounce which meant we only ate risotto (a few differnt kinds),gnocchi, minestrone and a variety of sandwiches! :)

2:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats