Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Bay Leaves, Sushi, Fenugreek & Indian Backbeats

Hi Everyone. Here are four fun facts for your reading pleasure.

  1. Fresh Bay Leaves Smell Like Bubblegum. Do you have access to fresh bay leaves? Not the dry ones sold in the spice section of the grocery store but the ones they sell for way too much money in the “fresh herb” corner of the produce section. Scratch and sniff one of the leaves and you will, I swear to it, be transported back to your gum smackin’ childhood. It is the essence of bubblegum.


  2. Sun Myung Moon Sushi According to this week's "Wait, Wait Don't Tell Me!" most of the sushi-grade raw fish available in the U.S. is supplied by "True World Group", part of Reverend Sun Myung Moon's Unification Church empire. Yowza! For more info, read here. Is "Moonie-Free Sushi" next?

  3. Fenugreek Reportedly Enhances Breast Size. Google the word “fenugreek” you know that spice commonly used in Indian curries? Well, google it and before you get to any recipe or definition, you will hit 6-7 pages about breastmilk production and breast size enhancement. I clearly don’t have enough fenugreek in my diet. Sigh. Oh, and according to Mahanandi, if you have any extra whole fenugreek, you can actually plant the seeds and grow the plant which is a lovely leafy green veg.


  4. Susan Campbell, Indian Hip Hop Expert? my site is the first to come up when you google: top club hip hop with Indian backbeats. Heh, ya jealous?

7 Comments:

Blogger Lotus Reads said...

You did good with these little-known facts, Susan! We Indians eat a lot fenugreek, ummm, and there could be some truth to what you have found - that's all I'm going to say! ;) However, I'm real tickled with the last one,you maestro of Indian hip-hop, you! :))) Off to go sniff at my bay leaves now...

1:35 AM  
Blogger hellomelissa said...

didn't need fenugreek.. my milk shot across the room.

so... is the unification church the reason i crave sushi at all hours???!

and isn't bubblegum one of the most heavenly smells next to vanilla? mmmmmmmm!

2:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! This is all new to me... now I will certainly scratch and sniff the fresh bay leaves at my inlaws when I get back and I will certainly try to incorporate fenugreek in my daily diet (used to drink the tea a lot).

The article on Sun Myung Moon was quite an eye opener, I'll say and haha, yep you sure take top rung for Indian backbeats!

8:26 AM  
Blogger Tracie P. said...

will boob jobs become obsolete??!

3:37 PM  
Blogger Susan in Italy said...

Lotus, You know, any Indian statue of a woman I have ever seems has been voluptuous. Maybe it's the methi.

Hello Melissa, Hee hee. I once saw a "super flat" Japanimation sculpture of a cartooney woman with the milk thing just like you described. Whoa! There was also a male version. Um, I won't go into details. It was super innocent-looking until you realized what you were looking at.

Rowena, Yup. And Sun Myung Moon also owns the Washington Times (NOT the Washington Post!).

Tracie, Hopefully! I'm going with the fenugreek method before ever considering going under the knife.

Paz, Leave ALL the fenugreek to me then!

12:18 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I'm glad we live in Vancouver and as our Sushi must be different!

4:26 PM  
Blogger Ange said...

i definetely need to start eating more Indian curry!

4:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats