Saturday, June 17, 2006

Melon and Feta and Onion, Oh My!

I could get used to this. I've been the beneficiary of such delicious hospitality lately. Gigliola, her family and I had lunch overlooking Lake Como and the mountains beyond; Amalia, her family and I ate al fresco on their enormous, vine-covered balcony. I may never cook again. Wonder how long they'd appreciate me showing up on the doorstep on a regular basis. Ladies?

Amalia is a big Gambero Rosso TV fan. I think this is where she gets to watch lots of famous Italian chefs as well as international ones like Jamie Oliver and Nigella Lawson. Nigella proposed this counter-intuitive salad (scroll down to the bottom of the page on this link) of watermelon, feta and lime-marinated red onion, which was surprisingly delicious. The sweet of the watermelon played really well against the salty pungency of the feta and olives while the mint and parsley added an herby note. The red onion mellowed in it's marinade of lime juice and so, added a brightness to the salad. Amalia used tiny, brown-green gaeta olives rather than the black ones called for and the dish turned out really well.

5 Comments:

Blogger Corrie said...

ooh! yum! i want to try this--and I've been lots of feta lately...looks great!

2:54 PM  
Blogger Lotus Reads said...

Whenever I eat a slice of watermelon I find I must have some feta cheese on the side, likewise, with apple I must have a slice of cheddar, so putting the melon, feta, onion, olives etc. together in a salad is a really splendid idea and I can't wait to try it. Thanks, Susan!

3:30 AM  
Blogger hellomelissa said...

this recipe sounds really unusual! i just love feta, too.

2:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I will find a time to make this. I guess it sounds odd but how could it miss, I love watermelon and feta and onion!

12:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I made a similar salad from an Alfred Portale book last summer for the first time, and have made it often since. Sort of addicting it is , really. His had cherry tomatoes, too, and they are a good addition, I think.

He pointed out, and I think I agree, that the use of the small seedless baskeball-sized watermelons is advisible, as the lack of seed-grooves gives them a crisper texture to stand up to a dressing.

I am crazy about this combination. Yum.

10:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats