Sunday, June 11, 2006

Zucchini in Carpione

Mmm...I recently spent the day at my friend, Gigliola's house in Como. Presumably not far from the very attractive and politically right-on (left-on?) George Clooney, we had a delicious lunch and started working on an English-for Science-students project.
Gigliola prepared a few lovely vegetarian dishes that we all ate heartily. This one, "zucchini in carpione" is a vegetarian version of a classic fish dish made with, as Gigliola describes it, "'carpione', a trout species ( Salmio trutta carpio) = Carp." Carp. I've never been happier to be eating the vegetarian version of something. I don't think carp in Italy is as maligned as in the States. And even Stateside, it wasn't always so bad, I mean, over 100 years ago, we introduced carp from China into America's waterways because they were so delicious.

Ingredients:

baby zucchini with their flowers
flour for dredging
oil for pan frying
red onion, sliced
vinegar
herbs (she used sage & thyme but you can opt for anything that seems good to you)

Slice the zucchini into long 1/4 inch slices. Separate the flowers from the zucchini ends. Reach into each flower and carefully pull off the stamen. Coat everything with flour and fry on both sides until light golden. Remove from the pan and place in a low dish. Fry the sliced onion in the pan then add it to the dish with the zucchini. Mince the herbs, place them in a small bowl, add a small amount of vinegar, salt and pepper to taste and some extra virgin olive oil. Whisk to blend and pour over the zucchini. Let stand at room temperature for a couple hours to allow the flavors to blend.

We ate this dish with a lot of crusty bread and some nice white wine. It's perfect for summer since it's eaten at room temperature and can/must be made ahead of time.

9 Comments:

Blogger a.c.t. said...

Madonna mia that's looks delicious. I want to eat the screen!

10:29 PM  
Blogger Lotus Reads said...

Yum! This looks and sounds deeeelicious! I only have one way of making zucchini (baby) - I bake them in the oven with a little blue cheese, so I sure welcome another way to do them! Thanks, Susan!

3:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

While herbs are beautiful in the garden, now is the time for this. Looks divine.

4:56 AM  
Blogger Susan in Italy said...

a.c.t: Just make sure you wipe it down afterward.

Lotus: Baked zuchini with blue cheese? Sounds yummy. Got a recipe?

Tanna: Thanks for stopping by! I saw some lovely baby zukes with flowers in the market this morning. Going to try this myself with mint and basil. What would you do?

3:14 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

great receipe Susan. I like it! Thanks for stopping by too! :) Yeah I try to be positive...

5:09 PM  
Blogger Lotus Reads said...

Sure, Susan!

It's very simple really - I roast the zucchini (cut lengthwise) for 15-20 mins @ 450F, cut-side down and lightly rubbed with oil.

Remove from oven, turn them cut-side up and sprinkle cheese overtop. Back in the oven they go until the cheese starts to melt, from 3-5 mins.

It's the perfect side dish for steak and mushrooms.

Hope you enjoy and thanks for letting me share!

7:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd love to have lunch with you and Gigliola. Just lovely!

10:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the zucchini recipe! Zucchini is currently overrunning my garden and I've been trying to put it in everything, (chocolate zucchini muffins, stir frys, lasagna... you name it...).

Feel free to check out my blog and offer some feedback, cheers,
http://brilynnf.spaces.live.com

6:15 PM  
Blogger Susan in Italy said...

Hi ivonne, you're welcome here any time, come on over!

Hi Brilynn, Thanks for stopping by, I feel your pain. Just got back from my in-laws' country house where somebody planted way too many zucchini plants and we wer up to our eyeballs. I have to say you've gotten more creative that we were. (Sorry I'm answering here; I'm not qualified to comment on your blog).

6:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats