Friday, July 28, 2006

Gobagool - Capicollo

I've written a lot about cool dishes to serve on hot summer nights. Gazpacho, Baba Ghanoush, Melitsanosalata, Steak Tar Tar and Summer Vegetable Terrine are all great ways to make yourself cool at a July or August meal but if you're feeling really lazy and you don't want to actually make anything, you can always rely on a great, cool antipasto plate with "gobagool" and some crusty bread.

In Chicago, an antipasto plate always included green and black olives, marinated vegetables, an array of sliced cheeses and capicollo a.k.a. gobagool. I just love this salume and need to keep only small amounts in the house for fear of consuming a kilo of it in one sitting. Gobagool seems to travel really well since the stuff I get in Chicago is as good as the stuff here in Milan. I suppose the real test of authentic, local gobagool would have to take place in Central or Southern Italy as it comes from Tuscany, Umbria, Calabria, Puglia, Basilicata and Campagna, but not Lombardy where I am. If you want a primer, "Gobagool 101", go here. Otherwise, go down to your neighborhood Italian deli or pork store and get yourself some.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ciao Susan!

Capicollo is indeed one of the very best salumi you can buy or eat.

I'm with you totally!

8:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've not had this and so must seek it out.

4:40 AM  
Blogger Susan in Italy said...

Hi Ivonne, Yep. Now do the Italocanadesi by you ask for capicollo or gobagool at the deli?

Hi Tanna, Yes, you really must! I prefer the hot capicolla rubbed with chili powder.

10:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Susan, that's a great picture - kind of looks like an aerial landscape photo of...oh, I dunno...someplace made of tasty cured pork.

I had to laugh when I followed the link to your gobagool 101 post. I grew up eating at my grandparents' house, where we had cabagool, purzoot, mozzarel, and sopressat, not to mention the occasional big plate of rigaton. In fact, they truncated their own name, which was spelled DeMotto (Which seems to be an anglicanization of D'Amato) but pronounced DeMott. I was 17 before I realized many of the things I loved ended in vowels.

3:43 PM  
Blogger Susan in Italy said...

Oh Yeah! I'm from a neighborhood (good little Irish girl that I was) with neighbors like "Motts" (anybody with the last name D'Amato) and "Babyface" (really!). I love that Italian-American thing. Any it makes me sad to see some Italian-Americans correct the "wrong" pronunciations. Here in Italy, where the dialects are not a sign of poor education, but are a beloved any dying cultural form, people are proud of them. I hope those pronunciations don't die out in the States.

4:37 PM  
Blogger Susan in Italy said...

Correction: "Here in Italy, where the dialects are not a sign of poor education..." What I meant to compare this to is NOT today's Italian America but to the Italian America at the end of the 19th century when they as well as most other European immigrants had been poorly educated. (Got into a run-in with somebody on a culinary blog forum and don't want to miscommunicate twice in one week!)

5:23 PM  
Blogger hellomelissa said...

oooooh, that photo looks good enough to eat. we're sweltering over here on the cool shores of lake michigan, and your hot weather solutions sound heavenly.

2:35 AM  
Blogger Man On The Street said...

It's approximately 500 degrees here in Chicago on June 1. And of course the power went out in the neighborhood last night so even my modest box fan served no purpose. And so I get up in the morning, feeling like the underside of a car seat, goof around on the computer and run across your post on cool capicollo... YUM!
So where did you get it in Chicago? Any great place in particular? Oh, and I'm a mortadello (sp?) man myself...

2:41 PM  
Blogger Susan in Italy said...

Hi M.O.T.S., Hearing of your suffering at least makes me feel less sorry for myself. Now, what you've got to do as soon as possible is get into some air-conditioned public transportation and get yourself to N. Harlem avenue where Caputo's is (technically, it's Elmwood Park). Here's their locations web page:

http://caputomarkets.com/page/14vql/Locations.html

If you're in the Suburbs, go to one of their newer locations. That place was my mecca back home.
BTW, the correct spelling is mordadel'. Hope you're taking notes!

3:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats