Friday, July 14, 2006

Le Musee du Quai Branly

I have to admit to having done very little cultural tourism this time around in Paris. We did check out, however the newest museum in town, dedicated to non-European art and anthropology, the Musee du Quai Branly. This museum houses "the entire collections, staffs, and libraries of the musees de l'Homme and des Arts de l'Afrique et l'Oceanie...thus making it the principle museum for presentation, research, and teaching, 'a place of hommage to nonwestern societies and of the sharing of cultures still too often misunderstood'"

Unfortunately, I found the collection (what was included over what was not) to be ill explained, so I still don't know the museum's mission. So much for sharing of cultures too often misunderstood. It's pretty bad to come out of a museum experience thinking, "what was the point of that?" especially if finding out the point was your main goal of visiting. We entered and exited the rear of the building so when Gabriel brought me around to the front to show me the facade, I 50% forgave the Musee. Look at this building! In reality the plants are more lush than what I've been able to record here for you. The Musee du Quai Branly's architects, sure knew what they were doing.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I must remember to check this out if only for the outside. Great picture. Thanks.

6:59 PM  
Blogger hellomelissa said...

this was a case of the wrapping being better than what was inside the package, huh? i'm forewarned in case i ever make it to paris.

5:33 PM  
Blogger Susan in Italy said...

Hi Tanna and Melissa, Since you could (should?) spend about 2 weeks taking in the whole of the Louvre, and most people would also want to see the Pompidou and the Orsay, I'd say a slow walk past this cool facade should suffice. It's right in the shadow of the Eiffel Tower.

7:45 PM  
Blogger hellomelissa said...

2 weeks in the louvre would be my dream come true. i would emerge absolutely sated and terribly spoiled.

6:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Susan in Italy:

I am an editor at TopTenSources.com. We have selected your blog on Italian food (in spite of this lamentable French interlude) as one of our Top Ten Sources for Italy.

I am sorry to post this as a comment, but I could see no other way to get in touch with you. Please let me know if you object to the inclusion of your blog and we will remove it from our site.

Sincerely,

Kevin@toptensources.com

10:24 PM  
Blogger Susan in Italy said...

Hi Kevin,
Thanks! I have absolutely no problem with that. I'll e-mail you though.

8:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

1:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats