Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Foodblogger's Welcome Dinner Invitation

Here's a great bit of fantasy! Let's pretend all of you can come to my house this weekend for a dinner party! I'd really love to meet in person the people that I've been corresponding with for the past several months, and wouldn't it be great to have a blogger pow wow? Thanks, Lea for inviting me to your dinner.

Here is meme originator, Angelika's, rule for this blog meme: "Describe a sort of 'signature menu' revealing much of your personal cooking style and culinary preferences" that you would make for your fellow foodbloggers.

I usually serve Italian dinners to non-Italian visitors, inviting them to try, say bresaola, cardoons or lumachini for the first time but when I have Italian guests I almost always serve some "foreign" cuisine, to give them a little taste of something new. Well, since most of you are of the Anglo-Saxon persuasion (at least linguistically), I've decided to go local and seasonal, not because it makes for good food but also because (for all you anti-snobs out there) it's cheap! I ask you, why serve artichokes in fall when pumpkin tortellini is less expensive and better? This menu is what I'd do with what's in the markets these days in Milan.

So here's our dinner-party menu:

Black Pelion olives (ok, they're from Greece, but still...)
****
Pumpkin Tortellini With Walnut Cream Sauce
****
Braised Short Ribs With Fall Vegetables
****
Salad of Sliced Raw Porcini, Arugula and Shaved Parmesan
****
Italian Plum Crostata
****
Coffee & Grappa


You're all invited!

I'm tagging but certainly not obliging:

Betul of "Rustic"
Tracie of "My Life Italian"
Jackie of "Allora, Aspetta!"
Ellie of "Kitchen Wench"

12 Comments:

Blogger Lea said...

I will reveal my secret if you give me all of your pumpkin tortellini... MINE I TELL YOU! ALL MINE!

I'd tell you the secret but blogger comments wont let me post the code =( Just select the text on my menu and select "view source"... you should see a center tag there.. thats how you do it =)

9:42 PM  
Blogger Lea said...

GRAPPA!! Vile! *spat apat*
maybe I just had a bad experience with the stuff but I think its aweful!!! ;-)

9:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll have a serve of everything...and a double serve of that plum crostata ;) Sounds like a winner of a dinner (poet, know it - I know, I suck! Hehehe!)

2:10 AM  
Blogger Rowena said...

Hi Susan, first of all thanks for the info on the song by Bebe, I'll go to check out the link later. My pc still goes on the blink every now and then and it was pure angst to not be able to connect for a couple days!

Secondly, that black Oaxacan mole sounds AWESOME. You bet that I'll be googling a recipe for that. I love input and ideas that get my appetite going, for instance your black pelion olives from Greece. I know only two types, black, green, (both of the european persuasion), and Lindsays. ;-) I'm going to pretend that I went over to your place because the menu sounds fab!

8:52 AM  
Blogger Susan in Italy said...

Thanks Lea! Now you can have all the pumpkin tortellini you want. Oh, and you don't have to drink and grappa, you can have cognac with your espresso, but you have to sit with the Francophones.

Hi Ellie, glad you liked it! Can't wait to see what you come up with.

Hi Rowena, Oaxacan mole is the bomb! Are you developing original recipes with garlic and chocolate for a cookbook or something? I could see you doing that.

9:33 AM  
Blogger Kalyn Denny said...

It sounds wonderful, I do wish I could come for dinner! Can't wait to see what Ellie makes too.

2:28 PM  
Blogger hellomelissa said...

oh, thank you for the wonderful dinner! you are an excellent virtual chef. i'll have to have you over soon, too! at my house you're likely to get tuna noodle casserole, though. :)

8:33 PM  
Blogger Corrie said...

thanks susan! your dinner looks delicious! italian plum crostata is a great way to wrap up the meal too...and what is this about the salad? is that true: fresh porcini?! i love that salad with normal mushrooms, what a treat it would be to try it with porcinis!

jackie

1:05 PM  
Blogger Susan in Italy said...

Hi Kalyn, Thanks for stopping by

Hi Melissa, Tuna noodle casserole with truffle oil, fiddlehead ferns and a balsamic vinegar reduction, right? Hee hee

Hi Jackie, The salad is great but you have to make it out of those precious porcinis with no worms. I average about 50%-50% with worm and wormless porcinis. How do you do? Got any tricks to know the good from the bad? Can't wait to hear about your dinner!

4:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Save me a seat at that table!

3:43 AM  
Blogger a.c.t. said...

I'd love to come to dinner at your house, sounds delicious. I make strawberry crostata sometimes, but I must try the plum. The pumpkin season is apon us so time for all things pumpkin related, hurrah!

4:38 PM  
Blogger nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

That dinner sounds incredible. Do you have a recipe for the Plum Crostata?

2:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats