Friday, November 10, 2006

Chestnut Honey-Drizzled Ricotta

Ok, ok, I know the photo depicts something more like "Ricotta Inundated with Chestnut Honey" or "Bowl o’ Chestnut Honey With a Little Ricotta on the Side" but the thing is, I’m PMS-ing up a storm here. About this time of the month, I try not to have junk food in the house because, I’m telling you whatever’s here, whether it be one candy bar or a whole cherry cheesecake, is gone within a day. So here I am, twiddling my thumbs simultaneously thanking the lord and cursing the fates that I don’t have any chocolate around when desperation takes over. Music to crave chocolate by: "Iliana quiere chocolate" by Pello Afrokán. On the "Bailar Con Cuba" release. The well-stocked pantry is hiding a jar of bitter-sweet Italian chestnut honey somewhere. There it is, behind the green lentils! What could be more useless than green lentils? And the fridge has got some ricotta! Woo hoo! Ladies and gentlemen, if you have not tried this before, run, don’t walk to your local Italian import store and get yourselves some chestnut honey. This type of honey's dominating flavor is sweet but with a bitter note that rounds out the taste and really makes you want more and more (or is that just me?). Somehow it’s best drizzled or in my case, dumped over a dollop of whole-milk ricotta cheese. Mmm…The bitter-sweetness of the honey melding with the creaminess of the ricotta. Who needs chocolate? (Well, ok, don’t answer that.)

18 Comments:

Blogger Lin said...

OH MY GOSH! This looks sinful-- and so delicious!!!! YOu've made me slobber over the ocmputer -- again!!!

1:07 PM  
Blogger Tracie P. said...

i've never heard of chestnut honey...i think that'll go on my grocery list.

1:09 PM  
Blogger hellomelissa said...

oh, lovely! a great way to get sweets without going down the unhealthy path. i head straight for the ghirardelli espresso/ dark chocolate bars.

1:36 PM  
Blogger Rowena said...

Oooh, I knew that I sensed some PMS vibes coming from Milan. Don't even get me started on chestnut honey. That over gorgonzola piccante is why I NEVER keep it around when I'm about to go on the rag...

2:22 PM  
Blogger Susan in Italy said...

Hi Lin & Tracie, It IS pretty great.

Hi Melissa, Sure, while I'm bouncing off the walls with my sugar high, you're fighting cancer or heart disease or whatever the heck it is that dark chocolate does.

Hi Rowena, Ha ha! Honey on gorgonzola piccante? (that's sharp gorgonzola) Really?

4:05 PM  
Blogger Tracie P. said...

she's right, there is virtually NOTHING better than good honey and good spicy cheese.

my mouth is actually watering. thanks girls.

5:59 PM  
Blogger FH said...

Oooh! I have ricotta cheese in the fridge,was thinking what I can do with it.It's right here:)

I have a Indian Ricotta Basundi in my archive, you will love it.

Thanks..

6:59 PM  
Blogger Beenzzz said...

OMG! You're killing me with this recipe. I have such a bad sweet tooth too. I must try this!

7:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, delicious! Actually, I think I may prefer this over chocolate. ;-)

Paz

2:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel your pain, sister! Bring on the ricotta swimming in honey!

12:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I was in Toronto, I went to the big market there (I am forgetting the name) and they had all kinds of nut honeys. God, this dish looks amazingly good.

3:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That looks so delicous... I actually tried to lick my monitor!

5:39 AM  
Blogger Shelley - At Home in Rome said...

I love this...thank you for reminding me of something I should have more often! I have fallen in love with the whole mixed cheese plate with honey and fruit compotes. Italy is divine for cheeses.

1:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow,Susan, chestnut honey sounds fantastic, I don't think I've ever seen or tasted any. And nor have I ever thought to put honey on ricotta, I am definitely going to have to try some!

@Rhea: if you're reading this, does St. Lawrence Market in Toronto ring a bell? I am guessing that's the place with all the honey, but I could be wrong.

2:51 PM  
Blogger Susan in Italy said...

Hi Tracie, I'll have to try honey on gorgonzola then!

Hi Asha, I'll check out your Basundi

Hi Beenzzz, Paz, Ivonne, Rhea, Moon, try it and let me know what you think!

Hi Shelly, Have you found farmhouses where they sell slow food certified cheese? It's hard to find up here in Milan.

Hi Lotus, I love how blogs allow people who have never met to have these "local" (Toronto) conversations!

8:45 PM  
Blogger mary grimm said...

I actually read this post while eating chocolate (Lindt 70%), but it still looked good to me.

5:53 PM  
Blogger a.c.t. said...

Wow, at last, something good to go with Ricotta. I've cooked a couple of things with ricotta recently and quite frankly found it tastless. This sounds good though..

5:59 PM  
Blogger Corrie said...

yum! i love your post too...good luck getting through your sudden sweet tooth :). chestnut honey sounds terrific--i always see various yummy looking kinds of honey around here--gotta try one one of these days!

-jackie

8:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats