Sunday, November 26, 2006

Methi-Potato Curry

This is curried potatoes and fenugreek greens. What are fenugreek greens, you might (or might not) ask? They are what you get after you plant the whole spice fenugreek, water faithfully and wait about a month. Each little yellow cube-like seed turns into a shoot about 9 inches long that has about 5 sets of what looks like 3-leafed clover. See image here. Raw, it has a powerful curry-like scent (well if you put your nose up to it). But cooked, it becomes mild and delicious!

I found out about this new cooking green (and great way to use up a whole spice that I usually take YEARS to finish since all my Indian recipes call for 1/4 tsp of it at a time) from Indira of Mahanandi. I wanted a straightforward curry recipe to serve over plain basmati rice and found this one online. Even with some substitutions (canned tomatoes instead of fresh and garam masala instead of Pav bhaji masala) the recipe turned out really really well. It was absolutely delicious. Only one thing, when I went on a strenuous bike ride the next day, I smelled this funny maple syrup/curry smell, and it turned out to be me. Hmmm... I like this enough to eat again but not to eat often. Negatives aside, fenugreek is purported to increase breast size. Now that's a plus!

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You mean I can eat this wonderful curry and increasemy breast size at the same time? That's too good to be true. This dish looks so wonderful! How was your Thanksgiving?

11:21 PM  
Blogger BETUL said...

Susan, how this can not taste delicious with potato and fenugreek? And I also love this flat breads with boiled potatoes..

http://giniann.wordpress.com/2006/04/05/ending-a-craving/

10:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Susan, thank you for posting a recipe with one of my favorite ingredients - methi! Many of my friends make the aloo-methi in a curry form, but I prefer to do the aloo methi bhaji (dry) that I can eat with rotis (tortillas). Either way it's delicious!

12:32 PM  
Blogger a.c.t. said...

I absolutely love potato curry. There's a vegetarian Indian place near our house and we always have the Jeera Aloo potatoes cooked in cumin, coriander and tomato. They're fried on the outside which makes them really brown and crispy on the outside - delicious.

1:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love Alu-Methi Susan.I don't get Methi leaves right now but I grow some every summer.So easy to grow them:)

I am shocked abt 'increasing breast size' thingie!I better eat less of those! I am already 36 C , don't need anymore :D:D

Smelling like curry is part of the Indian cooking,my husband HATES it,keeps spraying Neautralizer:D

Enjoy...

3:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This sounds delicious. I've never had fenugreek, but my Pinetree Seeds catalog sells the seeds - I'll have to give them a shot. I just hope it doesn't increase the size of my breasts.

3:44 AM  
Blogger Tracie P. said...

how does it increase your boob size? do have to stuff your bra with it?

:)

11:24 AM  
Blogger Susan in Italy said...

Hi Beenzzz, Thanksgiving was great, you?

Hi Betul, That Menthi Parantha looks great!

Hi Lotus, Yep, the dish is really good! Do you make your own rotis?

Hi a.c.t., Mmm... crispy fried curry stuff...

Hi Asha, Yes, this photo is a little old, actually. My methi shoots have long since keeled over.

Hi Scott, You can even use your grocery store fenugreek seeds! I got mine at an International food store and they were meant as a spice, but I panted them and it turned out well.

Hi Tracie, I'm thinking it's NOT by bra-stuffing! (though, what an image!) However, I think you need to eat a LOT of this to get any effect.

1:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i smelled like onion b.o. this morning, and onions don't even make your boobs bigger.

1:25 AM  
Blogger nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

LOL!!

3:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats