Monday, November 20, 2006

Thanksgiving 2006: The Menu

Hooray, I'm back to blogging. Gabriel has been making headway with restoring my computer's old personality so, I'm able to post photos and everything! So above you see the first course of our Thanksgiving dinner, Endive Leaves With Gorgonzola and Walnuts. They are great since they're easy to eat with your fingers, so you can put them out in the living room to distract your guests while you (frantically) put the last-minute touches on these other Thanksgiving preparations:

Here's the rest of the menu:

Endive Leaves With Gorgonzola and Walnuts
*****
Rillettes de Oie (unappetizingly stringy pate stuff, hence no photo) on Toast Points
*****
Wild Rice Soup
*****
Brined Roasted Turkey With Sage (recipe tomorrow)
*****
Pelion Pear Chutney and Cranberry Sauce
*****
(Gabriel's) Mashed Potatoes With (my)Gravy (recipe tomorrow)
*****
Brussels Sprouts With Pancetta and Garlic
*****
James Beard's Bread Stuffing With Sausage & Porcini (I'll tell you Wednesday what I did to doctor it up)
*****
Pumpkin Pie With Three Gingers and Candied Clementine Peel (recipe Wednesday)


Most of the rest of our meal plus some Thanksgiving 2006 reviews: Marco took a guest's-eye view shot of his Thanksgiving dinner plate. The mashed potatoes and gravy at noon were reliably very good, then at 2:00, the Brussels sprouts were, sadly no better than brussels sprouts usually are, despite the Italian kick, at 4:00, my pear chutney was zingy and great with the turkey. At 6:00 the stuffing was fabulous!! And I thought I didn't really like stuffing all that much. Thank you James Beard! 9:00 The Turkey. What can I say? I'll never cook one again without brining it first; it was great! 11:00: cranberry sauce from a can. After a couple Thanksgivings of longing for it, I forgot how boring it is.

Tune in tomorrow for ideas on how to brine and bake a 16-lb turkey and how to make the gravy. Wednesday, Pumpkin Pie With 3 Gingers and Candied Clementine peel, plus some notes on the best stuffing I have ever had.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think I may have died and gone to heaven. I must have all of it now! What a fantastic Thanksgiving menu! I'm really interested in the endive with gorgonzola. I will keep my eyes open for the recipe.

8:44 AM  
Blogger a.c.t. said...

I've never had endive leaves before, are they similar to artichokes? I love brussel sprouts with garlic, it's enough to convert any non-brussel sprout lover.

1:00 PM  
Blogger Susan in Italy said...

Hi Beenzzz, Here's the endive recipe in a nutshell: If you buy 2 or 3 heads of endive (they are small) and carefuly pull off the leaves (it helps to slice off 1/4 inch from the bottom and pull off 2-3 leaves then cut another 1/4 inch, etc), you just put a tablespoonfull of gorgonzola and a pre-toasted walnut on top of each one. Voila!

Hi a.c.t., Endive are like a mildly bitter lettuce. Less bitter than radichio, but still with a nice bite. I screwed up on the brussels sprouts; I doubled the recipe but didn't double the chicken stock, so they were dry and hard to swallow. Otherwise the recipe is a good one.

2:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

YUM! Thanks for the recipe!

4:48 PM  
Blogger a.c.t. said...

I'm sure they were still delicious. I wanted to ask you a technical question about your recipe links and I don't want to bore everyone, could you email me as you don't seem to have an email address?

5:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Thanksgiving.

3:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Thanksgiving, Susan!

4:28 AM  
Blogger Tracie P. said...

you're killing me. YOU ARE KILLING ME!

6:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats