Monday, December 04, 2006

My Top 100 of 1987!

The meme goes like this: get a top 100 hits of the year you graduated high school and mark how you felt about each song. For me, red means I loved it, black means I hate it,blue means I liked it, tan reflects indifference, pink, guilty pleasure, orange, I've never heard of it/can't remember and green hated it then, like it now.

1. "Faith".....George Michael

2. "Alone".....Heart

3. "I Wanna Dance With Somebody (Who Loves Me)" .....Whitney Houston

4. "C'est la Vie".....Robbie Nevil

5. "Shake You Down".....Gregory Abbott

6. "La Bamba".....Los Lobos

7. "Livin' On A Prayer".....Bon Jovi

8. "Here I Go Again".....Whitesnake

9. "Heaven Is A Place On Earth".....Belinda Carlisle

10. "(I've Had) The Time Of My Life".....Bill Medley & Jennifer Warnes

11. "Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now".....Starship

12. "I Think We're Alone Now".....Tiffany

13. "With Or Without You".....U2

14. "At This Moment".....Billy Vera and the Beaters

15. "Keep Your Hands To Yourself".....Georgia Satellites

16. "Heart And Soul".....T'Pau

17. "Open Your Heart".....Madonna

18. "Didn't We Almost Have It All".....Whitney Houston

19. "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For".....U2

20. "Looking For A New Love".....Jody Watley

21. "Don't Dream It's Over".....Crowded House

22. "Is This Love".....Whitesnake

23. "Shake Your Love".....Debbie Gibson

24. "Shakedown".....Bob Seger

25. "Notorious".....Duran Duran

26. "I Want Your Sex".....George Michael

27. "The Lady In Red".....Chris DeBurgh

28. "Always".....Atlantic Starr

29. "Head To Toe".....Lisa Lisa and Cult Jam

30. "Mony Mony".....Billy Idol

31. "Only In My Dreams".....Debbie Gibson

32. "Land Of Confusion".....Genesis

33. "Lost In Emotion"....Lisa Lisa and Cult Jam

34. "Should've Known Better".....Richard Marx

35. "You Keep Me Hanging On".....Kim Wilde

36. "Touch Me (I Want Your Body)".....Samantha Fox

37. "Lean On Me".....Club Nouveau

38. "Catch Me (I'm Falling)".....Poison

39. "I Knew You Were Waiting".....Aretha Franklin & George Michael

40. "(I Just) Died In Your Arms".....Cutting Crew

41. "Control".....Janet Jackson

42. "Somewhere Out There".....Linda Ronstadt & James Ingram

43. "U Got The Look".....Prince

44. "Don't You Want Me".....Jody Watley

45. "Jacob's Ladder".....Huey Lewis and the News

46. "I Heard A Rumour".....Bananarama

47. "Little Lies".....Fleetwood Mac

48. "Songbird".....Kenny G

49. "Breakout".....Swing Out Sister

50. "Someday".....Glass Tiger

51. "Bad".....Michael Jackson

52. "In Too Deep:.....Genesis

53. "I Just Can't Stop Loving You".....Michael Jackson & Siedah Garrett

54. "La Isla Bonita".....Madonna

cause it was in Spanish

55. "Let's Wait Awhile".....Janet Jackson

56. "Luka".....Suzanne Vega

57. "You Got It All".....The Jets

58. "Who's That Girl".....Madonna

59. "Don't Mean Nothing".....Richard Marx

60. "Come On With Me".....Expose

61. "Will You Still Love Me?".....Chicago

62. "Wanted Dead Or Alive".....Bon Jovi

63. "Don't Disturb This Groove".....The System

64. "Change Of Heart".....Cyndi Lauper

65. "Rhythm Is Gonna Get You".....Gloria Estefan and Miami Sound Machine

66. "Casanova".....Levert

67. "When Smokey Sings".....ABC

68."Is This Love".....Survivor

69. "The Finer Things".....Steve Winwood

70. "Rock Steady".....The Whispers

71. "Big Time".....Peter Gabriel

72. "Point Of No Return".....Expose

73. "We'll Be Together".....Sting

74. "Something So Strong".....Crowded House

75. "Victory".....Kool and the Gang

76. "The One I Love"......R.E.M.

77. "Causing A Commotion".....Madonna

78. "Sign O' The Times".....Prince

79. "Carrie".....Europe

80. "Mandolin Rain".....Bruce Hornsby and the Range

81. "Tonight, Tonight, Tonight".....Genesis

82. "Can't We Try".....Dan Hill with Vonda Sheppard

Dan who? Vonda what?

83. "Diamonds".....Herb Albert

84. "Heart Of The Night".....Bryan Adams

85. "Let Me Be The One".....Expose

86. "Brilliant Disguise".....Bruce Springsteen

87. "Midnight Blue".....Lou Gramm

88. "Just To See Her".....Smokey Robinson

89. "Doing It All For My Baby".....Huey Lewis and the News

b

90. "Valerie".....Steve Winwood

91. "Cross My Broken Heart".....The Jets

92. "Ballerina Girl".....Lionel Richie

93. "Nothing's Gonna Change My Love For You".....Glenn Medeiros

94. "It's A Sin".....Pet Shop Boys

95. "I've Been In Love Before".....Cutting Crew

96. "Wipeout".....Fat Boys & Beach Boys

wow! I'd love to hear this!

97. "Big Love".....Fleetwood Mac

98. "Respect Yourself".....Bruce Willis

You're kidding!

99. "Who Will You Run To?.....Heart

100. "Right On Track".....Breakfast Club

What, like the movie?

Now, you might notice that there's a lot more orange for "Never heard of it" than there is red for "Loved it". This is probably because in high school, I was trying my damndest to be "alternative", which in the Chicago suburbs meant not only wearing all black and lots of eyeliner when not in Catholic School Uniform, but also listening to obscure music. The weirder the better. If you got into a concert that had fewer audience members than band members, you hit the jackpot of cool! Next day at school you could say, "I saw "The Disappointments" or "Afterbirth" just so everybody could say, "the who?, the what?" or "Eeeewww!" (So satisfying!) In any case, many of my own personal choice top 100 can be found at the left margin of this blog. Check it out if you're interested.

18 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW!!!!!

100 of those! Great job Susan!!

Don't ever tag me for this, bcos I can't and won't do it:D:D

5:34 PM  
Blogger Tracie P. said...

i have the WORST medley reapting in my head now. thanks...;)

12:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

okay, now i'm picturing you, manga-style, in a catholic plaid skirt and loads of black eyeliner with pigtails. wow, a dose of 1987 so early in the morning... how will the rest of my day go?

1:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You and I love the same songs. I was a huge George Michael fan. Actually, I still am (blushing). I also love anything by U2. Great meme!!!!

4:35 PM  
Blogger a.c.t. said...

Do you really hate Fleetwood Mac "Big Love"? I can't believe it.

5:06 PM  
Blogger Susan in Italy said...

Ok Asha, I'm not saddling anybody with this meme!

Hi Tracie, You mean worse than having the Honeydripper's "Sea of Love" going through your head all day? "Come with me, my love. To the sea, the sea of love...." My best friend in high school used to sing that in the morning just so it would plague me all day long.

Hi Melissa, He he! too bad for me Manga is a lot cuter than I was!

Hi Beenzzz, I almost put George Michael in the "guilty pleasures" category! U2 was everything back then!

Hi a.c.t., So sorry, nothing by Fleetwood Mac makes me happy. Especially Stevie Nick's smoker's voice. But for some reason, I had you pegged for a Smiths fan. Am I wrong?

11:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great list!
I love these lists. It's like a trip down memory lane.

I had totally forgotten about "When Smokey Sings" So catchy!

5:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you and I are twins, separated at birth. I graduated the same year and had very eerily similar tastes. Nice to know I wasn't alone.

4:41 PM  
Blogger Susan in Italy said...

Hi Loulou, That's great! You're in France now, but where did you grow up?

8:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I grew up in Washington State.

11:08 PM  
Blogger a.c.t. said...

Hehe, I may have one or two Smiths songs in my collection, spot on Susan. I wonder, what made you think that? I do really love Fleetwood Mac as well though, surely it's possible to be a fan of both no? Oh my God, I've just noticed you have Chris De Burgh in blue! You and me need to have words...

11:54 PM  
Blogger Susan in Italy said...

Thanks Loulou!

I think it was your film interests that I associated with the Smiths, if that makes any sense. It's certainly poss. to be a fan of them and Mac but back in my high school, it was not! We were like Mods and Rockers. As for DeBurgh, it's just an anecdotal thing. It brings back a memory of my friend Paul serenading (really well) my friend Ange, and they're still married now so I love it.
Were there taboo musical likes in your school? Our #1 was glam metal (Whitesnake, for ex.)

8:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great list, Susan - we have a Catholic High school at the top of our road and I've noticed that a fair amount of the girls (and boys) seem to enjoy rebelling with dark makeup and black nailpolish, jet black hair and so on. Despite their uniform, they're always so interesting to look at! Well, just saying this because I can now picture you in high school! :)

12:26 PM  
Blogger nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

1987...good times. This list brought back some memories. I hate to see what the list of 2006 will look like. :)

1:35 AM  
Blogger Tracie P. said...

butigottathinktwice...beforeigivemyheartawayandiknowallthegamesyouplaybecausethemtoo...

4:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There was another song from 1987 called "Notorious"...it was by Loverboy...and it really rocked! A couple of other good songs from 1987 were "Lessons in Love" by Level 42, "Dominoes" by Robbie Neville, and "Should I See" by Frozen Ghost.

For me, 1987 was one of the best years ever.

4:06 AM  
Blogger Susan in Italy said...

Hi Lotus, Oh am I embarrassed!

Hi Ragazza, God, I'm so out of touch, I don't even know if I'd recognize the 2006 top 100.

Hi Tracey, Ok, here's a better one: "Laaast Christmas, I gave you my heart, and the very next day, you gave it awaayyy..."

Hi Anonymous, Thanks for stopping by! I loved Level 42! I think a lot of the best songs did not make it into the top 100.

9:04 AM  
Blogger Tracie P. said...

...thiiiis yeee-ah, to save me from teee-ahs, i'll give it someone special special...once bitten and twice as shy, ikeep my distance but you still catch my eye...tell me babay do you recognize me? well, it's been a year, it doesn't surprise me...

heart-breaking, isn't it?

face on a lover with a fire in his heart, man undercover and she TAW me apa-hart...ooh ooh...

10:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats