Monday, December 11, 2006

Un Weekend a Torino


This past long weekend, after going to the Sagra dei Obej Obej and doing the La Scala opening night fashion watch, Gabriel and I followed another Milanese tradition, namely leaving town. I swear, going elsewhere is the most Milanese thing to do on weekends. So we visited friends in Turin, the 2006 (well, January, 2006) Olympic capitol! It was sooo beautiful! Many Torinese buildings are Baroque in style (see left). Just by walking around, you get a sense of majesty from the architecture. This is where the old King of Italy, Victor Emmanuel was born. To the right is La Mole, an ex-synagogue (and the tallest building in the world before the Eiffel Tower was erected in 1889) now holds a very entertaining Cinema museum.

The city streets are full of public art and the most recent installations, during the sun-deprived winter months, are related to light. Here you see an entire poem illuminating a sea of shoppers on via Garibaldi. Incidentally, the poem is about escaping noise in a silent forest, a fabulous foil to the hustle and bustle of pre-Christmas shopping!

I had never made any connection between Baroque architectural style and Art Nouveau (or its Italian incarnation, "Liberty" style)until I came to Turin. Examples of both styles abound in this city. On the left you have a galleria of shops downtown and on the right, one of many lush bars where you are invited to sip a coffee or a thick, rich "cioccolata", more like a dark chocolate pudding than a hot chocolate. On sale in many of these shops are the famous gianduiotti, (creamy, rich chocolate-ground hazelnut confections). This is NOT a town to be on a diet in.

Tomorrow, we get down to business with a Piedmontese "bollito misto" with gnocchi and a salsa verde.

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

All I can say is WOW! What wonderful pictures. I bet you're having a great time.

6:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful pics!Italy is gorgeous,lot of history just like India.Have fun and eat great food!:)

7:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! I really must come back to Italy soon.

1:35 AM  
Blogger J said...

What beautiful pictures...I've never been to Italy, but boy, you make me want to take a trip there!

6:05 AM  
Blogger Sara, Ms Adventures in Italy said...

I loved Torino, too! I think it's very underrated and the "bad reputation" it has with Italians cracks me up!

Thanks for sharing!

6:52 AM  
Blogger Susan in Italy said...

Hi Beenzzz, Thanks. It was a lot of fun and very beautiful.

Hi Asha, Thanks, I'd love to visit India one day.

Hi Moon, Come back!

Hi J., But you've clearly been to India. I just love your avatar in front of the Taj Majal!

Hi Ms., I know! What's not to like about Turin?!

11:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks for letting me live vicariously through you, susan! the place sounds incredible, and i hope to make it to italy someday.

12:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Susan, it all sounds wonderful - can't wait to read about the boiled meats.

3:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Susan, I'm having major blogger problems today and cannot seem to get this comment to go through..anyway, I have been trying to say that when I first saw your post header, I read 'Toronto' instead of 'Torino' and I was overjoyed to know you were coming to my city. Needless to say, I was terribly disappointed to find out you were still in Italy! :(

Anyway, those pictures of Torino are beautiful and I love the sound of the "cioccolata", mmmmmmmm, it sounds devilishly enjoyable! Starbucks had a chocolatey concoction last year called 'Chantico' but it mustn't have done well because they have taken it off the menu this year, bummer!

Hope this comment goes through!

11:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11:58 PM  
Blogger a.c.t. said...

I've visited Turin a couple of times - once to stay with a friend and another time to watch Juventus. I think it's beautiful and so underrated.

1:32 PM  
Blogger Susan in Italy said...

Hi Scott, Boiled meats comin' up!

Hi Lotus, Sadly, I have never been to Toronto, would love to go once, though. Was the Chantico a pudding-like chocolate?

Hi a.c.t., I missed the chance to photograph an entire store actually called Juventus. dedicated to soccer paraphernalia.

3:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi again, Susan

"Chanitco" didn't have the consistency of pudding, but it was a nice viscous chocolate drink, almost like melted chocolate.

Sorry for swamping your comment box yesterday. Blogger makes me so mad sometimes, grrr!

Please delete those duplicate comments, thanks Susan!

4:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats