Thursday, January 18, 2007

Would You Eat This?! Orange-Olive Salad

When I was a kid I hated everything. There was even a moment in my early childhood when I refused to eat anything other than apple sauce and so my parents were forced to hide the meat and veggies inside spoonfulls of it when they fed me. During college I branched out and the first direction I went was foreign, I was really picky about things unless you told me it was a delicacy in Spain or Thailand or somewhere. Well, I remember photocopying a page out of an Italian cookbook with this recipe: If people from the suburbs of Chicago loved the sweet, tart, salty combo of orange and olive salad, I would probably never have tasted it in the first place. Luckily this is a Sicilian thing. I really favor the ultra black, wrinkly "olive al forno" olives for this dish, but I guess you can use any black olive. Navel oranges work well too. This recipe is for 1 person, just multiply as your guest list grows

1 seedless orange, peeled
1 tbsp of the finest extra virgin olive oil
8 black olives
squeeze of lemon (optional)
salt and freshly cracked black pepper

Slice the orange into thin rounds and arrange on a plate. It's nicest if there are only 1 or 2 layers of orange slices, so you may be looking at a very large serving plate if you have a lot of guests. Scatter the olives evenly over the orange slices, drizzle the olive oil and sprinkle the salt and pepper. If your oranges are tart, I suggest no lemon juice at all. If they're sweet, add a squeeze or two. Press down gently on the orange slices with a spoon to get some juices going. Tilt the plate, scoop up some juices and baste the salad a couple times. You will have a juicy and delicious combination.

11 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Your childhood culinary habits were a lot like mine. I would not eat meat if I could see it. Would not eat white stuff — had to be colored.

Yes, I would eat this! I tried chicken with Kalamata olives and honey and tangerine juice last night and it was wonderful.

12:42 AM  
Blogger hellomelissa said...

it's surprising to me that you were a picky child! i have always eaten anything that isn't nailed down, and quite possibly a few things that were!

this recipe sounds like sweet and sour to the max! i'll have to try it sometime... right now the oranges at our markets are pretty sad.

7:08 PM  
Blogger Man On The Street said...

I'm a big fan of the sweet/savory combo and this sounds like it may fill the bill. And even I can make this, too boot! Yet another winner. I'm starting the lobbying for you to get the next slot on Food Network

2:50 AM  
Blogger Beenzzz said...

I would eat that! It looks good. I love the mix of flavors. You find that a lot in Indian cooking.

7:59 PM  
Blogger Angela said...

Sounds great and will be a nice compliment to roasted chicken

4:23 AM  
Blogger Susan in Italy said...

Hi Mimi, Thanks for stopping by! Was that chicken, olive, tangerine dish Greek? I've never seen it there.

Hi Melissa, Just saw some scary images on TV of weather in Michigan, hope you and the kids are ok!

Hiya MOTS! Glad to see you back! Now that you're out there writing for magazines and stuff. Any Food Network campaigning on your part is more than welcome. If it comes down to it, I'll kick Giada De Laurentiis' ass at the first opportunity.

HI Beennzzz, You're right, Indian cuisine is so rich in flavor contrasts. Like a great chutney, for ex.

Hey Ange! Great to hear from you! I hadn't thought of roast chicken, but that would make a nice, clean taste combo. Have you continued with the cooking lessons for Julie and Peg?

1:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi! i found your blog by chance looking for scrumptious recipes on the net.. i like it a lot! i would like to give you my site link, even if it's still under construction. i'm probably going to have a bit more spare time next month so to arrange it and upload more pages!

2:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

melime's site: www.vanigliaemandorle.it

2:44 PM  
Blogger Tracie P. said...

i would! in aix-en-provence i ate at a morrocan restaurant (gorgeous!) and they served me a salad with sliced oranges, red onion, condita with evoo, orange blosson water and pomegranite (sp?) seeds...this sounds very similar. i love fruit with savory stuff.

12:20 PM  
Blogger Michael Di Corcia said...

Melime although I live in NJ for 17 years now I'm from Ospitaletto....
My mother owned the Gelateria Fiore there.
ever been there?

10:23 PM  
Anonymous Antioch Appliance Repairs said...

Hi thanks for pposting this

6:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats