Monday, January 29, 2007

Zeppole!

Wow! Simone and Valeria came to dinner last night and they brought an "experiment" with them: these deluxe zeppole. If you look for zeppole recipes online you'll mostly find instructions for rather standard fried dough dusted with powdered sugar. If you have ever been to an Italian-American street fest, you may have eaten some doughnut-like things in brown paper while walking down the street, but you would NOT be prepared for what we tasted last night.

What Simone and Valeria propose is an egg-rich cream puff dough (something like this) piped in concentric circles to make discs and then deep fried. This is then covered with "crema pasticcera" (pastry cream) piped in the same way and then topped with a small dollop of "amarena" (sour cherry preserves - I can't believe what they're charging for them on this site!). Valeria is from Naples, so she has a lot of experience eating these traditional Neapolitan St. Joseph's Day pastries, but this is the first time she and Simone made them. I think they did a great job.

9 Comments:

Blogger J said...

GORGEOUS! Were they as tasty as they look?

8:00 PM  
Blogger Beenzzz said...

I agree, they are gorgeous. I would love to sink me teeth into on of those!!

9:09 PM  
Blogger Cherry said...

Mmm. I've never had zeppole, and now I really want to try one. I must find out when the next North Beach feastival is in SF.

9:46 PM  
Blogger Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) said...

Zeppole are a specialty of the many Italian bakeries here in Rhode Island. Yours are every bit as beautiful as the ones we get at home!

12:28 AM  
Blogger Maria of Passion Fruit & Mangos said...

Those look & sound delicious!

4:55 AM  
Blogger Susan in Italy said...

J, They were delicious! Not overly sweet but very rich. One was more than enough.

Hey Beenzzz, Get down to your nearest Italian fest.

Hi Cherry, I'll bet they have good Italian-American food in SF.

Hi Lydia, Thanks for stopping by! RI must have some great bakeries, since back in the States, I'd never seen zeppole any fancier than sugared doughnuts.

Hi Maria, Thanks for stopping by!

12:37 PM  
Blogger Tracie P. said...

i know dem zeppole! here you can find them fried AND baked. yum

4:03 PM  
Blogger hellomelissa said...

wish i had such wonderfully experimental friends! those look heavenly.

2:46 PM  
Blogger Susan in Italy said...

Hi tracie, I'll bet you get 'em every which way down in Napoli.

Hi Melissa, I'm sure you DO have experiemntal friends (just maybe the drawing kind)

4:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats