Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Happy Valentine's Dinner!

Happy Valentine's Day, everybody! It turned out as a result of a period of media-perpetrated Valentine's Day browbeating, which I wasn't even aware of, that we had a romantic Valentine's dinner at home. Gabriel, having been exposed to innumerable Valentine's ads on TV in Italy and in US online newspapers, was worried that he had already missed The Big Day and came home early (before me) bearing roses and fillets of sole. Now, roses are nice but fillet of sole (dear God, tell me they aren't overfished!) will win me over any day. So we dined on that plus Gabriel's signature creamy mashed potatoes and a squeeze of lemon.

I do feel bad that G., my kitchen man, made this meal partly out of a sense of responsibility, having heard the message time and again that you have to buy your wife things on Valentine's Day in order to show your love. This IS after all an invented holiday, but I'm still really touched. He's such a sweetie. Happy Valentine's day!

13 Comments:

Blogger Beenzzz said...

That fillet of sole looks so mouth watering good!!! Sounds like you had a nice quiet romantic dinner at home. I bet the roses are just gorgeous!

4:58 PM  
Blogger ML said...

What a sweet gesture! Food looks amazing - that would wine me over everytime :)

Happy Valentine's Day to you!

5:00 PM  
Blogger nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

that is so sweet (and looks very yummy).

8:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

G sounds like a real sweetie, indeed. Glad to read you had a good day. ;-)

Paz

2:45 AM  
Blogger Susan in Italy said...

Hi Beenzzz, Sole is great! Problem was the fish were pretty small which makes me wonder if they're being overfished.

Hi ML, Hope you had a happy Valentine's daay too.

Hi Ragazza, Gabriel's a good guy; I'm lucky.

Hiya Paz, I hope you had fun on Valentine's day as well. Cheers.

10:25 AM  
Blogger hellomelissa said...

yeah, we don't buy into the valentine thing either. i always joke with t that i'd better get a gold and diamond heart pendant OR ELSE!

he actually did get me a lovely handcrafted tile this year (i think part of it was a get well thing), and it looks like your gift was straight from the heart as well.

1:20 PM  
Blogger June said...

At my local deli they say they hardly sold any of the special St Val's Day chocolates, but that lots of blokes came in asking for the ingredients to make dinner. A move in the right direction say I!

5:09 PM  
Blogger Tracie P. said...

haven't you ever heard that you shouldn't look a gift horse in the maouth, young lady?

happy late valentine's day.

7:57 PM  
Blogger Tracie P. said...

that's MOUTH :)

7:58 PM  
Blogger Tracy said...

I linked to you from J's Thinking About...blog. G sounds like a total sweetheart, and your dinner looks delish! Glad you had a happy Valentine's Day!

9:28 PM  
Blogger Melting Wok said...

hey there, the rex sole fillet is so nicely browned, you're very lucky there, cheers !:)

9:26 AM  
Blogger Susan in Italy said...

Hi Melissa, I think any gift (handcrafter tile, favorite fish) that he knows you love is the best since it shouw he's thinking about you, doncha think?

Hi June, What a great trend! I'm all for men cooking romantic dinners.

Hiya Tracie, I know, I know, and looking a gift fish in the mouth is even worse.

Hi Starshine and Melting Wok, Welcome! Thanks for visiting! I am indeed lucky with a sweet gourmet of a husband. Thanks a lot.

9:51 AM  
Blogger Lotus Reads said...

Awww, what a sweetie Gabriel is! I know I am late, but I had to stop by to say I hope you both had a wonderful Valentine's Day!

2:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats