Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Let's Play...20 Questions

Thanks to J. from Thinking About... for tagging me on this one. You're such a flatterer!

1. What’s your #1 comfort food? For the moment it's white chocolate. Don't think of it as chocolate but as rich, creamy butter candy.

2. If you were on a deserted island, what one food would you want to have with you? What's got all the 4 food groups? Minestrone with pancetta and parmesan.

3. What is/are your signature dishes? (What dishes are you ‘known’ for?) I'm best known from my own sourdough bread from the starter I grew a few years ago and lives in my fridge.

4. It’s Friday night, you don’t know what to cook. You opt for…Easy pasta al pesto from the pesto cubes in the freezer. Snap.

5. What’s your biggest weakness when it comes to food? Sugar, sugar, sugar. It's been that way all my life.

6. What food can you absolutely not eat? Bananas. I hate their smell, their texture, their taste, everything. I once threw up after eating the required 1/2 banana on some fad diet when I was in 8th grade. I actually tell hosts who try to serve me something with bananas in it that I'm severely allergic.

7. You need a drink. You grab a… um...whaddya mean, by drink? am I thirsty? (water) or stressed? (red wine)

8. What’s the most decadent dish you’ve had? Another question with multiple interpretations: calorie-wise it would be the full cajun gumbo dinner last year where a guest brought some lasagne to share. Jeez. Money-wise, our wedding feast at Charlie Trotter's

9. What’s your favorite type of food? My favorite food nationalities are: Italian, Mexican, Indian and Thai.

10. Favorite dish? Come on! That's as hard as asking my favorite song! I could give you my top 100. But the first one that comes to mind right now (think! think!) is Gabriel's taramasalata.

11. If your partner could take you to any restaurant you wanted, which one would it be? Since I've already mentioned Charlie Trotter's (maybe for an anniversary) I'll say Chez Panisse in San Francisco. Gotta love that Alice Waters.

12. Are you a soup or salad person? Salad's great but soup all the way. Refer back to the desert island question.

13. Buffet, take-out or sit-down restaurant? I sooo miss the fantabulous street food of Chicago, Italian beef, tamales, paletas, Italian subs, etc. Guess take-out's the closest.

14. What’s the most impressive dinner you’ve ever made? Gabriel and I have collaborated on many an impressive dinner. Maybe the time he shucked 20 oysters for an appetizer, I made osso bucco with risotto alla milanese a green salad along with the cheese course and floating islands for dessert. It was really good.

15. Do you consider yourself a good cook? Yeah. I love it and I think I'm good at it.

16. Do you know what vichyssoise is? Yeah. It's cold Potage Parmentier. Believe me, the hot version is better.

17. Who’s your favorite TV cook? Um, believe it or not, there are only really sucky TV cooks in Italy.

18. Can you name at least three TV cooking personalities? Sure here's 3 I've heard of but never seen in action: Nigella Lawson, Alton Brown and Rachel Ray.

19. Homemade or homemade from a box? All homemade, all the time. Even bread and mayonnaise.

20. Name 3 or more other foodies you are going to tag. Hey you out there, are you feeling taggable? Get to it! Let me know in a comment if you decide to do this one.

9 Comments:

Blogger J said...

I knew you'd do a great job. :) Thanks for playing! Your dishes sound so impressive...

I've never made my own bread...(hangs head in shame)

9:06 PM  
Blogger chemcookit said...

Hey Susan
I have a 21st question for you :) - if I understood correctly you are from Chicago, right? So, do you like Chicago-style deep dish pizza? I'm curious :)

7:12 AM  
Blogger Susan in Italy said...

Hi J., Thanks for inviting me. And anybody, like you who takes the greens Cookbook seriously is a great cook with a lot of patience. Kudos.

Hi Chem, I have to say that Neapolitan-style pizza is more my style. I can only eat one slice of the thick-pan pizza. They should call it a variation on lasagne more than pizza. Do you like Chicago-style? I suggest "Italian beef" instead.

12:16 PM  
Blogger FH said...

Great Tag,well done Susan!:))

Never made bread from a starter but love making bread though.Don't miss my Naan this week!

I ate a slice of Chicago Pizza in Chicago once but then never tried it again.It's a scary dish for me!;P

1:32 PM  
Blogger ML said...

Great meme! Your sourdough bread sounds like heaven wrapped up in a loaf!

5:21 PM  
Blogger Maria of Passion Fruit & Mangos said...

Hey Susan,

I hate bananas too! And red wine all the way baby! Reading your meme is making me hungry.

2:40 AM  
Blogger chemcookit said...

Eheheh
ok, now I feel better and I can say my opinion, i.e. I hate Chicago Style pizza. :) I had about one piece once in Chicago, and I was completely filled for the rest of the day.... It's too much. :) How to call it... pasticcio alla Chicago. :)
Do you know what a pasticcio is? Even though it means 'mess', it's actually a real dish, and it basically means that you put together a lot of stuff and you bake it. :)

Btw: I read your posts about sourdough bread, they're wonderful! If I lived there I would borrow some of your starter :)

4:46 AM  
Blogger Susan in Italy said...

Hi Asha, I'll be checking you out.

Hi ML, Thanks!

Hi Maria,You hate them too!? That makes me feel better. Aren't they awful?

Hi Chem, I think that if Chicago-style pizza were called something else, there'd be less problem. I like "Chicago-style Pasticcio" better.

1:08 PM  
Blogger Lotus Reads said...

Hi, Susan!

Love this meme! I am going to be in Chicago towards the end of April, I would love to know more about the street food you have loved and miss! Thanks!

p.s. Sorry I haven't been reading and commenting regularly...my blog's on hiatus.

3:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats