Monday, March 19, 2007

St. Patrick's Day Guinness Cake

As usual, just in time for St. Joseph's Day. (Happy Birthday to my brother Brian).
Yesterday our friend, Yovan who lives in Barcelona, visited and prepared a huge Catalan feast complete with chistorra sausage on toast points, deep fried whole green "pimientos del padron" (all mild this time! Usually one of them will blow your head off with no warning), deep fried "chipirones" (itty bitty little squids you eat whole) and the showstopper, two giant paella pans full of fideua, like paella but instead of rice, it's made with super thin toasted 1-inch lengths of angel hair pasta) one traditional and one "a la tinta", (that is, laced with black squid ink) Recipe coming soon.

I provided the superfluous dessert. We were all stuffed after those delicious tapas and the fideua but Guinness Cake presented itself as a patriotic must (at least for me as I was the only one in the room with Irish roots).

I more or less followed the Oprah Winfrey (of all people) recipe here. I replaced half the butter in the cake batter with home pureed pear sauce (works just like apple sauce) and then through a series of mishaps, I changed the frosting recipe entirely. I replaced the cream cheese with "light" cream cheese (the grocery store was out of the regular kind) only to add a bunch of mascarpone to the mix later to thicken it up. I used a simple sugar syrup rather than the powdered sugar (it was Sunday and I had forgotten to get powdered sugar when the stores were open on Saturday) All was well that ended well, the mascarpone rescued my too-thin-to-spread-well frosting and it turned out pretty tasty too. The Guinness does indeed add a coffee-like flavor to the chocolate-spice cake.

7 Comments:

Blogger Susan from Food Blogga said...

My mom always says things happen for a reason. First, I came across your name 2-3X this morning. As a fellow Susan who is Italian-American, I smiled. Then I posted a frittata today, and someone asked me if it was the same as a tortilla. I didn't think so, until I saw your Spanish tortilla recipe. I just mentioned your recipe and blog in my comment box. Is this one of those moments of cyber serendipity?

7:26 PM  
Blogger Susan in Italy said...

Hi Susan, Thanks for stopping by! I checked out your blog and left a comment. Great frittata. Do you ever flip yours and cook it exclusively on the stovetop?

9:25 PM  
Blogger Maria of Passion Fruit & Mangos said...

A Catalan feast AND a Guinness Cake- oh I am jealous! Sounds like you had a wonderful time- and your cake looks really good. I've been meaning to try a Guinness cake, never had it before. This just might be my inspiration!

11:05 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

Hey, I made a chocolate stout cake for St. Patty's Day too! Great minds . . .. I like the addition of spices to your recipe; it sounds like it would be a completely different type of cake than the one I made.

I'm very much looking forward to your fideua recipe.

12:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my lord...a catalan feast! YOW!! Deep fried whole green "pimientos del padron"...hot.damn. Look forward to the paella recipe!

10:45 AM  
Blogger Susan in Italy said...

Hi Maria, The catalan feast was amazing; my cake was just, well, icing on the cake.

Hi Christine, Actually, rather than the spices, I would have liked to try your much richer-looking cake with the sour cream in the batter. That sounds delicious!

Hi Rowena, Oh those whole, just rinsed, dried, deep-fried and salted peppers were the best part of the whole dinner!

5:05 PM  
Blogger ML said...

Lovely looking and sounding cake! I hope you had a good St. Patrick's day :)

7:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats