Thursday, April 05, 2007

The Seven Songs I Would Pick If I Could Only Listen To Seven Songs For The Rest Of My Life, Which, Yeah, Like Someone Is Going To Impose That...

...Condition On Me, And Assuming I Can Even Come Up With Seven.

I'm loving the title of this meme Loulou of Chez Loulou tagged me for. This is right up my alley, it's pretty limited, no top 100 or nor is it Your One And Only Favoritest Song Of All Time; it's doable!

Here's my committed-forever-song list: (click on the links and hear these beauties for yourselves!)

This is in no way ordered by favoriteness, just so you know.

1.) "Train in Vain" by The Clash. I got myself a fake ID just so I could attend "alternative night" at The Jungle in college and dance to this song. Sing along with this fun video

2.)"Here Comes Your Man" by The Pixies. Well, unsurpassable as they were, we knew they were on heroin, but this video proves it. And if you can crane you head away from the visuals enough to listen to this, don'cha just dig it when the bass is the principal instrument in a rock band. "Funky" just doesn't even cover it.

3.) "American Pie" by Don McLean. I never identified with a TV commercial more than when I saw some guy (selling who-knows-what) sitting parked in his garage, unable to get out of the car and into his house until "American Pie" finished.

4.) "Fuck and Run" by Liz Phair. Any of you ever regret a one-night-stand? No? Me neither! Listen to this and imagine what that must be like.

5.) This Must Be The Place (Naive Melody) by Talking Heads. I realize this is about somebody who's feebly putting a thin domestic blanket of calm over some serious problems, but still, it relaxes me.

6.) "Dreaming" by Blondie. "When! I met 'choo in a restaurant! you! could tell I was no debutante!". Says it all, doesn't it?

7.) "Love is Here Where I Live" by Everything But The Girl. Whether it's this soft and sweet (if cheesy) 1980s stuff or their more trip-hoppy current incarnation, I just love EBTG.

14 Comments:

Blogger Susan in Italy said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

3:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Molto belle Sue!
posso provare a farti io una lista delle mie 7 preferite ma sono quasi tutte italiane. ok ci provo:
1) bitch by meredith brooks
2)Strada facendo by claudio baglioni
3) l'ombellico del mondo by jovanotti
4) balliamo sul mondo by ligabue
5) oh mio dio sono già alla 5!!!! ok your body is a wonderland by john mayer
6) everybobody needs somebody to love Blues brothers)
7) ultima ma non ultima: somebody to love dei queen che adoro anche nella versione cantata da george michael.
si vede che oggi on ho proprio voglia di lavorare???
eggì

3:13 PM  
Blogger nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

I could never come up with just seven songs but I like your list, esp. "Dreaming"

7:49 PM  
Blogger hellomelissa said...

what a great meme! the first one i can think of is "i don't want to live on the moon" by ernie from sesame street. the second might be "wild west hero" by elo. something by queen would need to be present, as well as a tom petty and a neil young.

i'll give it some further thought, but i'm not sure about narrowing it down to only 7.

4:18 AM  
Blogger Susan in Italy said...

Hi Eggì, I love "your body is a wonderland" and the rest, is just proof that I need a crash course in Italian pop. Mi la fai?

Hey Ragazza, Blondie rules!

Hi Melissa, Will you post on this? I'd love to see what you come up with!

10:03 AM  
Blogger ML said...

Great meme! I laughed out loud when I saw "When! I met 'choo in a restaurant!"

5:48 PM  
Blogger Beenzzz said...

Man, that would be a hard one since I am so musically fickle. I like your choices though. Love the Pixies, Blondie, and Liz Phair!

12:59 AM  
Blogger Corrie said...

neat little list here! this would be fun to do! oh, and i love everything on that liz phair album! what a great album!

12:43 AM  
Blogger J said...

Liz Phair rocks, and so does EBTG...and Blondie, yeah! Interesting the different sides of a person music can bring out, and how quickly, isn't it? My favorite Liz Phair might be Johnny Feelgood. My favorite Blondie might be Sunday Girl, and I think I would have to have some Beatles somewhere on my list, too. Fun!

1:06 AM  
Blogger J said...

Wait, EBTG doesn't ROCK the same way Liz does, I just meant I love them. Esp Idllewild...love that CD. :) Takes me right back to my undergrad days...

1:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

when i met choo
in a department meeting
then i found out you
went to fenwick prom ...

friends forever i've lost your email! write soon!

tesinisa

2:30 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

I love your choice of number 5!
And I love Everything But the Girl! I haven't heard them since high school and reading your post made me realize that I need to download some of their music.

7:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK I'm back. I've come up with 7 songs, and since this is a foodie site I thought about what to eat while listening to these songs. But I'm a better drinker than cook. So I could only come up with 7 drinks that go with the songs. Please suggest some snackies, Susan!

1. Black Water--Doobie Brothers.
Drink: Jack and Coke

2. Dindi--Antonio Carlos Jobim and Gal Costa.
Drink: Piña Colada

3. Peg--Steely Dan.
Drink: Cosmopolitan

4. Dos dias en la vida--Jarabe de Palo.
Drink: Caña

5. Tempramental--Everything But the Girl.
Drink: Campari and Soda

6. My Mistake--Marvin Gaye and Diana Ross.
Drink: Vodka Tonic with Lime Twist

7. Dance Myself to Sleep--Ernie from Sesame Street.
Drink: Hot Toddy

Next challenge:
5 ALBUMS and appropriate foodie fare! Go for it, Serenissima!


Choo Know Who
(That's a good group name).

2:48 PM  
Blogger Susan in Italy said...

Hey Loulou, You've just reminded me that I need to learn HOW to download music! Having left a lively local music scene (Twin Cities) to move to where there's no concept of college radio (Milan) I feel a bit starved. How's the music in France?

Tesinista!!! Holy heck! How's Medieval Spanish Lit. treating you? I'm so much happier remembering meeting you in a department meeting than remembering Fenwick Prom! Impeccable drinks and tunes list. I'm listening to Temperamental right now just because I have no way to listen to Peg or Dindi. Any clues on how to download music?

10:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats