Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Lavender Sea Salt Scrub

Disclaimer: This is NOT an advertisement for EO brands (I'm just recycling the jar), in fact it's the opposite. Here's a recipe to make your own lavender-scented olive oil sea salt body scrub for next to nothing. An Italian friend of mine told me about this skin smoothing secret. In a moment of student poverty, she made this scrub as a Christmas present for all her friends and family. She bought 1 bottle of essential oil of lavender (this'll run you from 15 to 20 euros but a little goes a long way), a bottle of olive oil (couple euros) and a couple kilos of non-iodized salt (cheaper than dirt). The beauty part is that for very little money, you can give presents that seem chic and sheeshy!

Ingredients:

2 cups non-iodized salt*
3 tbsps olive oil**
15 drops of essential oil of lavender (or be creative and use essential oil of anything else, rose geranium is a favorite of mine)

Pour the salt into a sturdy, sealable container (plastic or glass jars are perfect). Make a well in the center, pour in the olive oil and drop in the essential oil of lavender. Mix first with a spoon then by closing the containet and shaking like mad. Music to shake Lavender Sea Salt Scrub with: OutKast's "Hey Ya" (shake it like a Polaroid Picture!) Get in the shower or tub, get wet (if you really want a really, really effective skin-sloughing effect, soak in the tub for 15 minutes then start scrubbing) Grab hanfulls from the jar and scrub all over with this mixture (singin' OutKast all the way through) and then use soap and water to wash away the oil. You will feel like a pink and shiny new person.


*Here in Italy, the cheapest stuff is sea salt but non-iodized Morton's or, better yet, the generic brand will scrub just as well.

** I used extra virgin and its rich yellow-green color left an ugly, yellowy tinge in my scrub, so I'd suggest to save the evoo for your baby field green salads and use lesser grade which will be clearer.

13 Comments:

Blogger Figs, Bay, Wine said...

Susan, I love your blog, and I love this idea! Can't wait to try it b/c I'm sick of having to spend so much on scrubs. (By the way, have you heard of using old coffee grounds as a cellulite-preventing scrub? Never tried it myself, but thought I'd mention it).

You mention rose geranium oil, and, since you're in Italy, I wanted to ask if people cook with the leaves there? I've seen people cook with them in Greece but never on my travels in Italy.
Many thanks!
Amanda

2:57 PM  
Blogger Sara, Ms Adventures in Italy said...

Great idea! Tell me how this sounds - I have a Limoncello salt scrub (yah, I know) that I got in Vegas - it was very expensive...do you think it could be done at home? :)

3:08 PM  
Blogger Stelle in Italia said...

wow, sounds lovely! i'm gonna have to try this...

jackie

4:05 PM  
Blogger Freya said...

Great blog! Love you Cinco de Mayo recipe too!
Look forward to reading more!

8:22 PM  
Blogger Susan from Food Blogga said...

Thanks for the great idea. My mom adores the fragrance of lavender; I'll have to tell about this.

1:37 AM  
Blogger Susan in Italy said...

Hi Figs, (can I call you "Figs"?) It seems intuitive to me that a scrub of used coffee grounds would work at fighting cellulite as well as any of those expensive products seeing as the active ingredient in them is caffeine. (Hell, it might give you a faux tan as well)

As far as cooking with scented geranium is concerned, I've never met an italian who knew about this. They use it to ward off mosquitoes, so whenever I've mentioned rose geranium cookies, for example, they cringe.

12:47 PM  
Blogger Susan in Italy said...

Hi Ms. I'm sure you could use essential oil of lemon in place of the lavender and since the other ingredients in lemoncello are sugar and everclear (both rather scentless). Your scrub reminds me that I have a juniper and lime bubble bath that leaves me smelling like a gin and tonic!

12:52 PM  
Blogger Susan in Italy said...

Hi Jackie, Do try it, it's a great find.


Hi Freya and Paul, Thanks for stopping by! My husband adores carnitas, so we make them a lot. One thing I may not have mentioned about them. Try to get pork shoulder with some marbeling so that there's enough fat for the meat to fry in at the end. I'll be checking you out soon.

Hi Susan, Thank you!

12:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome!

Paz

5:14 AM  
Blogger hellomelissa said...

you just KNEW that teacher gift time was once again upon me, didn't you??

or i guess i could give them tomato plants.

12:29 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

Why not Outkast's "So Fresh and So Clean"? I think that'd work just as well.

Great post, great idea, and as a teacher, I know I'd love it as a "teacher gift."

8:36 PM  
Blogger Susan in Italy said...

Hi Paz, Thanks!

Hi Melissa, Do all your kids' teachers already have those fab purses that you make? (I still have mine!)

Hi Christina, I didn't think of that one! But I'll use it for an upcoming post about orange blossom water (very fresh and clean tasting) with proper citations, of course.

10:41 PM  
Blogger Figs, Bay, Wine said...

Hi Susan - I just posted about drying lavender as part of a cake recipe. In the piece, I suggest that if readers have access to culinary-grade lavender and don't enjoy the flavor in their food, that they refer to your sea salt scrub post. I provide links to your site and to the specific post. Hope that's ok. If it's not, please let me know!

7:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats