Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Mrs. Field's Chocolate Chip Cookies

Did you ever hear the Urban Myth surrounding the Mrs. Field's Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe? The one where your friend tells you about his/her friend who is buying a dozen Mrs. Field's cookies and sees that they're selling the recipe as well? And then the friend-of-a-friend asks the clerk what the recipe costs and hears, "two-fifty" and says, "helluva deal! I'll take the recipe too and put the total on my VISA card."? And then when the friend-of-a-friend gets home and looks at the receipt (s)he sees that the "two-fifty" is actually $250.00 and not $2.50, tries to take it back to the store but of course they don't accept it since (s)he could have easily photocopied it so (s)he gets so mad (s)he gives the recipe away to as many people as possible in hopes of putting Mrs Field out of business? Have you heard that one?

Well, this is that recipe. My friend, Angela actually conned me into believing this story happened to her cousin (funny, she didn't mention which cousin...). I was shocked when I began hearing the same story from other people, but in the end, who cares? This is my #1 favorite chocolate-chip cookie recipe, it's crunchy on the outside, chewy on the inside and it didn't cost me a dime.

Ingredients:

1 cup butter
1 cup lightly packed brown sugar
1 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 1/2 cups rolled oats
1/2 regular sized semi-sweet chocolate bar
12 ozs. chocolate chips
1 1/2 cups chopped walnuts (I've actually never added these)

The day before you want to bake the cookies, make the dough. It benefits from a good night of chilling tightly covered in the fridge. Cream the butter and the sugars together in a large mixing bowl, then add the eggs one at a time mixing the first in thoroughly before adding in the next. Add the vanilla and mix. Set aside.

Whisk the flour, salt, baking soda and baking powder together in a medium sized bowl. In a food processor place the oats and chocolate bar and process into a powder. Add to the flour mixture.

Mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, scoop golf ball-sized portions of dough onto parchment lined cookie sheets and bake for 10-13 minutes, no more. slide parchment with cookies off the hot cookie sheets, wait a minute and remove to cooling racks. Makes 50 cookies. Music to chomp on cookies and get in touch with your inner child with: "Chocolate Chip Chamber Music" by Helen Richman. What are the odds she ISN'T related to musical man-child, Jonathan Richman? See him here singing "I'm a little Dinosaur"

7 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I have this same recipe with a similar Nieman Marcus store attatched to it. Regardless, the cookies are very tasty!

I enjoy your blog a great deal, thank you.

9:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

3:21 AM  
Blogger Christina said...

I love that story. In fact, I love urban myths in general because they tell us so much about the culture in which we live.

Oh, I'm jealous that you have chocolate chip cookies to munch on. I may have to make a batch myself.

By the way, I've got carnitas bubbling away on my stove, and the smell of it is making me salivate. This is the second time I've made it according to your recipe, and it is some good shizzle. ECG has been demanding it again since we had it a month or so ago, and I have a feeling it is going to be a "go-to" meal for us. Thanks for adding it to our repertoire.

4:32 AM  
Blogger nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

LOL. I do remember that story. Great recipe.

4:12 PM  
Blogger Susan in Italy said...

Hi Nicole, So you heard a Nieman Marcus version? I wonder how many permutations the story's gone through? Thanks for stopping by!

Hi Christina, I like the little guys taking out the big guy moral to this myth, anyway. I'm so glad you like the carnitas! I made them for the first time a few years ago and didn't expect Gabriel to really like them, but now he asks for them all the time.

Hi Ragazza, The story hastravelled far and wide!

4:59 PM  
Blogger hellomelissa said...

i thought it was the neiman-marcus cookie recipe...

that's a wide and far flung urban legend!

h recently made choco-chip cookies from a kids cookbook and they were some of the best i've had! he's turning into quite the little chef. i'll send him to italy for lessons from you, susan. :)

12:23 PM  
Blogger Susan in Italy said...

Hi melissa, How great that h is starting to cook! Alice Waters thinks that's a good start to being a healthy adult. Lotus has a little chef for a daughter as well. They're welcome over here in Milan any time!

1:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats