Friday, June 08, 2007

Weeds, Glorious Weeds

In the late spring and early summer the most glorious "weeds" sprout up in the most abandoned of places here in italy. Fallow fields and stretches of land along railroad tracks fill with red-orange poppies. This photo was taken in the rut along the tracks of the Greco Pirelli train station in Milan. To me, it's like magic but they seem to go unnoticed, maybe becuase they're weeds.

On the way to work ,I ride my bike past the Martesana canal which is a bit greener than most of Milan. Among the wild plants and trees lining the canal is this fig, full of fist-sized fruit not ripe yet but in August, watch out!

6 Comments:

Blogger Susan from Food Blogga said...

When even the weeds in Italy are beautiful, you know you live in one of the greatest places imaginable.;)

6:51 PM  
Blogger hellomelissa said...

oh, you rotten girl! you found FIGS!

my baby fig trees are flourishing thus far and my mouth is watering for one already.

2:12 AM  
Blogger Christina said...

I bet you're watching those figs like a hawk.

There a fig trees that are reaching beyond yard fences in my neighborhood--I'll be watching them pretty closely in the months to come too. I love "finding" my own food!

6:41 AM  
Blogger June said...

And the tomato plants that grow along the banks of the Po!

5:09 PM  
Blogger Susan in Italy said...

Hi Susan, In terms of weeds, I'd say you're right.

Hi Melissa, Baby fig trees?! How cool, did you get them at that huge plant-o-rama you wrote about?

Hi Christina, I love the rule that if it's on your side of the fence, it's yours.

Hi June, Wow! I've never seen that!

12:24 PM  
Blogger hellomelissa said...

yep, they were only $8.50 each. and i better get me some figs this time. all the others i've tried to grow died. these were born and bred in the carolina sun, so hopefully they'll do better.

3:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats