Sunday, September 09, 2007

Um, hi remember me? (Blame it all on Wentworth Miller)

I have been such a bad blogger. I had every intention of getting back into the culinary swing of things when we came home from Greece but pure sloth got in my way. My return from Eden left me with only the energy after facing work to turn on my E Mule and watch seasons 1 and 2 of Prison Break. That's 44 episodes in 3 weeks, so you do the math. My brain's gotten a little fuzzy after all that. Thing is, Wentworth Miller is cute and everything, but the show just isn't coherent enough to be worth 3 weeks of virtually undivided attention.

So, I'm ready to pick up where I left off. Actually some nostalgic blogging on food of a vacation past is just the thing I need...so here's what I did the first week of vacation with a couple kinds of weeds (purslane and caper leaves) and some salt:

In the one Greek-language cookbook I own (it takes me quite a while to translate a recipe before I can begin to make it) there's a recipe for sun-dried, salt-cured purslane (glisistrada) and caper leaves (fylla apo kappares). First you pick 1 kilo of purslane (the 6th most common weed on the planet, and an excellent substitute for okra in gumbo) and 1/2 kilo of small, tender caper leaves. Wash and pat the leaves dry. Place them in one layer on a dry towel and leave in the afternoon sun for at least 1 hour.
With a glass jar and 1/2 kilo of salt, layer the leaves. Begin by pouring a little salt in the bottom of the jar, drop in a few purslane leaves, more salt, some caper leaves, more salt, more leaves, yet more salt and still more leaves until your jar is full. Make sure the top layer is about 1 centimeter of salt. Then... get this: leave it in a cool, dry place for 8 MONTHS until the leaves are ready to eat. Music to sit around for 8 MONTHS by: (well, not really but this is the coolest song played in any episode of Prison Break): "Home" by Alexi Murdoch. The recipe said something about this being good in salads. I'm not sure but I'll let you know in April.

5 Comments:

Blogger Christina said...

Oh! I'm so curious about what these will be like when they've sat in the salt. Will they taste like capers? Will any moisture remain in those little leaves? Who knows? Well, I'm sure plenty of people know, but we don't, so it has all the excitement of an experiment. Thanks for sharing the process with us.

If it turns out well, I'll have a something to do with all the purslane I pull from my garden!

1:31 AM  
Blogger Cherry said...

Welcome back!
Any posts about Greece eats hanging out in the back of your mind?

I too am curious about how this turns out. I wonder if the salt is pulling out any bad stuff from the leaves, or if it is acting just as a preservative. I guess we'll just have to wait to see.

7:13 AM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Nice to see you back!
I'm sure Greece was fabulous and I look forward to more food stories from you trip.

9:03 AM  
Blogger hellomelissa said...

happy eating (in 8 months, that is)!

i've never watched prison break. we did just watch the latest season of extras on dvd. uncomfortable hilarity!

1:57 PM  
Blogger Susan in Italy said...

Hi Christina,
Have you ever eaten purslane? It has a very okra texture, non my favorite thing eaten in a stew.


Hi Cherry, There's a lot of Greek stuff coming soon!


Hi Loulou, Thanks! I'll keep you up on things.

Hi Melissa, Is "extras" a TV show? I'm looking for more interesting stuff to watch through eMule.

4:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats