Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Off to China!

Hi folks, I'll be taking a 10-day blogging break because I'm leaving on a business trip to China this afternoon. I'm sure to come back on October 27th with some wondrous food experiences to share with you all. If the Chinese neighborhood in the 13th Arrondisement in Paris can offer me ham and jellyfish salad (delicious! no, really!), just imagine what Beijing and Shanghai hold in store.

I don't know how much extreme eating I'll get in since my traveling companions are all Italian, which leads me to believe they may not be too culinarily adventurous. My colleagues' idea of "exotic" is a chocolate-chip cookie or a blueberry muffin, so, we'll see. If they do have deep fried scorpions in Beijing though, I'll try 'em, after all, they look so much like shrimp scampi, don't they?

So if there's anyone out there who's been to Beijing and/or Shanghai and had a memorable eating experience, I'd love to know about it. Tell us all in a comment!

10 Comments:

Blogger Sara, Ms Adventures in Italy said...

Have a great time...I look forward to hearing about your experimentation and being the most adventurous of your group!!

9:40 AM  
Blogger nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

I hope you have a great trip. I can't wait to hear about your trip and to see the photos.

1:02 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

Scorpions? Seriously? I'll eat just about everything but after being terrified by a scorpion a few too many times, I think that is a food that I can safely say wouldn't purposely pass my lips.

I CANNOT wait to hear about your culinary (and travel) adventures in China. You always have such an interesting approach to the places you visit.

3:41 AM  
Blogger Kalyn Denny said...

I went to Beijing in 2001 with my brother Rand. I'm sorry to report that we thought a lot of the Chinese food had kind of an off taste, which we never did get used to. (We thought maybe it was the cooking oil.) One of my biggest memories is "food street" a place where in the middle of the afternoon vendors suddenly appear and start grilling all kinds of strange and unusual foods. Scorpions were only the beginning. The shopping in Beijing was amazing though,and the sights were wonderful. Have a great time, and maybe you will be luckier with the food than we were.

4:48 AM  
Blogger ML said...

Have a great trip! See you when you get back.

5:22 PM  
Blogger Figs, Bay, Wine said...

You take such wonderful trips! Can't wait to hear all about it.

11:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds very exotic. Have a fun and safe trip :)

3:53 AM  
Blogger Beenzzz said...

I'm a little late, but have a wonderful trip!

8:44 PM  
Blogger Lotus Reads said...

Oh mi god, China! What an incredible place to visit...you will have a great time and i look forward to the many things you will have to share with us when you return.

Hubby was there last year...he's not a very adventurous eater so he almost threw up when his host told them that the meal he was so enjoying was pig intestine!

Deep-fried scorpion doesn't sound too bad actually...hopefully it's so crispy you won't be able to tell what it is!

2:27 PM  
Blogger hellomelissa said...

it will be so fun to hear of your chinese culinary adventures! h just had his first REAL one at a dim sum restaurant in the chinatown district of LA. he wasn't very impressed by the chicken feet!

9:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats