Monday, October 08, 2007

Persimmon With Chile, Lime and Salt. Would You Eat This?!

I think most people wouldn't say no to a ripe persimmon. It may not be the most popular fruit but its sweet, sweet sweetness is hard to turn down. But what about persimmon sprinkled with a Mexican fruit condiment of red pepper flakes, powdered lime juice and salt? Does it sound terrible to you? If you live anywhere in North America, not just in Mexico, this stuff is readily available. I have some of this here in Italy because some friends just got back from the Yucatán and they bought this thinking it was normal chile for salsa or something. Needless to say, they were not impressed when I told them it was for fruit. When I was teaching Spanish at University of Minnesota, I once bought my students watermelon suckers coated with this spice combo for a little cultural introduction. Most of them freaked out and those that actually ate the suckers did so as a sort of proof of their mettle, kinda the way a fraternity pledge might swallow a live goldfish.

So here's my argument for this unusual snack: once you get over the initial gross-out impression, I think the "Chile, Limón y sal" makes sweet fruit even better. Persimmons don't have much sour tang to them so this addition makes its sweetness more complex, gives the sugar some sour, salty and spicy to go up against. The condiment is also great on bosc pears, black plums and papayas and ripe mangoes. So the question is: Would YOU eat this?!

12 Comments:

Blogger Christina said...

Yes, I'd eat it happily. I think my favorite snack in the world is mango, either fresh or dried, with a healthy dose of chile, lime, and salt. Yumminess!

4:41 AM  
Blogger Beenzzz said...

Yeh, I'd have to say that I would. I love persimmons and this way sounds so intriguing! Have you had mangoes this way? It's pretty good.

5:30 AM  
Blogger Susan in Italy said...

Hi Christina, I love this on mangoes and watermelon and lots of other fruit but I've never tried it on dried fruit. It's probably great.

Hi Beenzzz, Yeah mangoes like this are great. Where do you get to eat this stuff? I thought i was the only one to know about/like it.

5:20 PM  
Blogger ML said...

Yes, I would most definitely eat this. It sounds delicious!

6:51 PM  
Blogger J said...

I'm persimmon ignorant...are these the mushy ones or the crisp ones? My mom would LOVE this dish. :)

8:34 PM  
Blogger Stelle in Italia said...

i was wondering where i'd heard of this, and i think i've actually tried it before on mango. anyway, it sounds yummy! persimmons would be just right with it because, like you said, the are SWEEET!

8:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hola

I confess I would savor this dish only with plentiful quantities of some equally piquant mexican beverage.

UNOWHO.

3:48 AM  
Blogger Susan in Italy said...

Hi ML, I'm surprised so many people like this!

Hi J., These are the super mushy ones, but the spices are good on the crisp ones too.

Hi Stelle (Jackie?) You guys are so worldly and experienced with this stuff! I was expecting to gross everybody out.

Hi Poetisa!! Long time no hear (and all my fault). I love that you'd have to down this like one would the mezcal worm! Let's talk soon, I'm coming home for Christmas. Where'll you be?

3:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds delicious! I would absolutely, definitely eat that!

3:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is delicious! I love how in Mexico, and even in some neighborhoods in NY you can get cups of fruit sprinkled with that stuff. It really does enhance the flavor, like prosciutto wrapped around melon with a squeeze of lime. Delicious!

2:35 PM  
Blogger hellomelissa said...

mmmm... i think it sounds scrumptious. we used to have a persimmon tree in our backyard. never ate one like this, though! wish i would have.

9:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hell yes. Chili, lime and salt is good on almost anything.

9:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats