Thursday, November 22, 2007

Over the river and through the woods to Grandmother's house we go...

Ladies and Gentlemen,to those of you Stateside, Happy Thanksgiving! I'll be spending the real Thanksgiving at work giving a presentation, but will celebrate with friends and turkey on Sunday. Thus almost all the Thanksgiving recipes I'll have to offer will sadly come too late for most of you. But I love to keep this blog as a record of what was served, what went well and what didn't for my own benefit, so maybe you'll be interested too. Here's my plan for Thanksgiving 2007:

Endive Leaves With Gorgonzola and Walnuts
*****
Baud-Bovy Family Recipe Rabbit Terrine served with Homemade Sourdough Bread
*****
Brined Turkey with Sage Lattice Design
*****
Moroccan Carrot Salad, Broccoli Florets Sauteed With Pancetta, James Beard's Bread Dressing With Wild Rice, Mashed Potatoes With Giblet Gravy
*****
Pelion Pear Chutney and Roasted Quince Chutney
*****
Bûche d'Automne(Pumpkin Cake Roulade With Cream Cheese Frosting)




Happy Thanksgiving!

11 Comments:

Blogger Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

Everything for your Thanksgiving Feast looks amazing! Happy Thanksgiving!!

2:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

dear susan, it's definitly time to make the feuerzangenbowle again, do you agree?

Regina

2:41 PM  
Blogger Susan in Italy said...

Hi Bellini, Thanks! Have a great Thanksgiving yourself!

Hi Regina, Oh, I'm getting excited about it already! 45° rum, fruit, sugar, cinnamon...what could be better on a frigid Northern Italian evening?

4:39 PM  
Blogger Proud Italian Cook said...

Susan,your menu sounds wonderful!! I especially love the way the turkey looks with the sage lattice.
I just tried doing that with mine, and it dosen't look anything like yours!! Oh well,! I'll have to try again! By the way, yours looks fantastic!

5:21 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

Beautiful menu! What lucky friends and family you have.

I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving celebration.

7:22 AM  
Blogger Susan in Italy said...

Hi PIC, (can I call you "PIC"?) Thanks for the kind words, they mean a lot.

Hi Christina, Than you! I can't wait for the actual dinner on Sunday. How was your Thanksgiving?

10:49 AM  
Blogger hellomelissa said...

since i already ate the standard, traditional turkey/stuffing/potatoes/gravy, i'd LOVE to try your menu! it sounds beyond amazing.

happy cooking and enjoy!

7:08 PM  
Blogger Proud Italian Cook said...

Hi Susan, My name is Marie, or you can call me pic, whatever.When you get a chance check out my blog you'll see what I mean about the sage. You need to give me some lessons on that!! ha ha!!

4:34 PM  
Blogger Stelle in Italia said...

have a wonderful Sunday thanksgiving! Looks delicious!

-Jackie

8:03 PM  
Blogger Proud Italian Cook said...

Hi Susan, I'm glad you had a great Thanksgiving! Now as far as the turkey goes, I take the bird out of the frig about 1/2 hr. before baking it, so it's not so cold when you put it in the oven, which is at 325 degrees,first bake it uncovered in a 2" pan so the heat circulates good. I just rubbed mine with softened butter and herbs. During this time it browns nicely, then 2/3rds of the way done I just take tin foil and cover the breast only, because it cooks faster and you don't want it to dry out, everything else is exposed and continues to brown nicely. I do not use a deep pan or a v rack it never works for me. I just placed the turkey on top of some celery and onions right in the pan, thay was my rack, and it also flavors your gravy that way.
When I used a deep pan it didn't work for me and neither did that v rack. Check out, www.butterball.com and watch the how to roast video, that helped me a lot. Hope this helps!

3:48 PM  
Anonymous Grilled Cheese Recipes said...

Thanks foor a great read

12:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats